Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Thought crimes

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 11:02:13 -0500

From: "Harvey Silverglate" <has () world std com>
To: <mo () ccr org>
Cc: "Dave Farber" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 18:46:33 -0500

Dear Mike O'Dell,

    I read your short piece on Thoughts Crimes on Dave Farber's
always-informative Website.

    You may be interested in a foundation that I co-founded last year, to
promote liberty on college campuses. In part, we wage war on mandatory
sensitivity training and tendentious freshman orientation, and other
thought-control and thought-reform tactics in higher education. We fight,
as well, against speech codes that punish "offensive" attitudes and
speech rather than actions.

    Check-out The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education
<http://www.thefire.org>

    This foundation was founded in the aftermath of reaction to the book
I co-authored in 1998 with Alan Charles Kors, The Shadow University: The
Betrayal of Liberty on America's Campuses (The Free Press, 1998;
HarperPerennial paperback, 1999). There's a whole chapter on freedom of
conscience, and several on speech codes. See
<http://www.shadowuniv.com>
    Cheers.
                                Harvey Silverglate

Harvey A. Silverglate