Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: 100% per year, etc

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 04:53:20 +0900

Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 09:05:29 -0500 (EST)
From: Andrew Odlyzko <amo () research att com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Cc: bill.st.arnaud () canarie ca, mo () UU NET
Subject: Re: IP: 100% per year, etc

Dave,

Apropos Mike O'Dell's message that you sent out to the IP
list on Thursday, he wrote:

I see people still don't really understand the difference
between offered load (measured as gigabits injected into
the edge of the network) and network capacity (measured in
gigabit-route-miles of trunking).

This was apparently in reference to your note about my paper
about Internet traffic growth myths,

  <http://www.cisp.org/imp/november_2000/odlyzko/11_00odlyzko.htm>.

However, that paper was not confused about the two measures he
cites, and explicitly concentrated on the end-to-end traffic
as measured in bytes (which is closely correlated with O'Dell's
first measure, "offered load," and much more weakly related to
network capacity).  The popular myths of Internet growth
invariably speak of "traffic," as in the book "You Say You
Want a Revolution" by the former FCC Chairman Reed Hundt, where
he recently wrote, ``In 1999, data traffic was doubling every
90 days ...,'' or in two separate articles in the November 27
issue of Fortune magazine.  Now I would claim that when people
speak of car traffic, they do not refer to the number of lanes
on a highway, or the length of a highway.  Similarly I would
claim that when people talk of Internet traffic, their notion
corresponds more closely to either byte volume or offered traffic,
than to network capacity.  Thus by considering byte volume and
showing that it is about doubling each year (which is consistent
with Mike O'Dell's statement that on his network, offered load
about doubles each year), I feel I am correcting a widely held
misapprehension of what is happening on the Internet.

Best regards,
Andrew

Andrew Odlyzko                                      amo () research att com
AT&T Labs - Research                                voice:  973-360-8410
http://www.research.att.com/~amo                    fax:    973-360-8178

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/