Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Judge -- Microsoft broke the law!

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 19:32:00 -0400

[ it is good to see at least round one over. I am satisfied my
contribution (and it was a memorable experience)  was not wasted and
expect that if this is upheld the field will change for the better
and will , I hope, make a strong and innovative MS also. djf]

Updated 7:19 PM ET April 3, 2000By Lisa M. Bowman and Mary Jo Foley, ZDNet News
Saying that Microsoft Corp. "placed an oppressive thumb on the scale
of competitive fortune," U.S. District Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson
issued a scathing ruling on Monday, finding that the company violated
federal and state antitrust laws.

Jackson's ruling came after settlement talks between the two sides
broke down Saturday and U.S. Circuit Judge Richard Posner -- whom
Jackson appointed to oversee the negotiations -- said the sides were
too far apart to come to any agreement. The DOJ and 19 states
attorneys general filed suit against Microsoft in May 1998.

In Monday's ruling, Jackson said Microsoft violated antitrust laws by
using anti-competitive methods to maintain its market dominance and
by monopolizing the Web browser market. Jackson also said Microsoft
illegally tied its browser to Windows in an effort to thwart rival
Netscape Communications Corp. However, the ruling sides with
Microsoft on one point, saying the exclusive contracts the software
giant struck with some companies were not necessarily illegal.

Nevertheless, Jackson lambasted Microsoft's conduct overall, saying
"but only when the separate categories of conduct are viewed, as they
should be, as a single well-coordinated course of action does the
full extent of the violence that Microsoft has done to the
competitive process reveal itself."

http://news.excite.com/news/zd/000403/19/judge-microsoft