Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: MISSILE DEFENSE: COUNTERMEASURES REPORT CALLS FOR DELAY

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 18:29:14 -0400

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 18:19:11 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: "Richard J. Solomon" <rsolomon () dsl cis upenn edu>

In the old news department, while we were in Las Vegas I came across
a set of reprinted documents (for a buck) written by Nikola Tesla in
1934 for his "Teleforce" -- a system to shoot down invading
airplanes with electrostatically charged "death ray" particles.
According to the reprint (1998), it was being seriously investigated
by the SDI team in the early 1990s. His papers were classified by
the FBI in 1942, but for some reason during the cold war were
shipped to his hometown in Yugoslavia whereupon the Soviets picked
them up. The Yugoslavs eventually made them available to western
researchers, so hence SDI. What comes around goes around? Tesla
coils anyone?

Richard