Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Les Earnest On The Census 2000 Form

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 11:35:06 -0400

Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:56:50 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: "Sandy F. Smith, Jr." <smiths () pobox upenn edu>
Subject: Re: IP: Les Earnest On The Census 2000 Form

This may be picking a nit, but how could he answer *any* Census
questions in years not ending in 0?  And I'm not aware of questions
about race on IRS Form 1040.

On his more serious point: He's basically right about racial
classifications.  But as for the other questions which are "none of
the government's business", we -- through our elected
representatives -- have decided that we want the federal government
to pick up all or part of the tab for a bunch of things: roads,
sewers, transit systems, school construction, emergency services and
so on, and the funds for those are distributed on the basis of
population.

"So why do the Feds need to know how long it takes me to commute to
work?"  Maybe the Feds don't, but local officials do so they can
figure out *where* and *how* to spend the Federal, state and local
money allocated for projects like those above.  And frankly, it's
far more efficient for this sort of data to be collected by one
agency with a proven track record of protecting privacy over
centuries than by thousands of smaller outfits sending out targeted
surveys (though these also are done routinely, mainly by independent
or academic researchers).

I would suggest that before flat-out refusing to answer the long
form (and why is there so much fuss being made over it *now*
anyway?), you might want to ask yourself:  "Do I find the
_Statistical Abstract of the United States_ useful, or do I know
someone who does or might?" If it were the IRS collecting this data,
I would worry more than I do about the Census Bureau doing so.

--Sandy

--
--
Sandy Smith, University Relations / 215.898.1423 / smiths () pobox upenn edu