Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: DVDs & Apex

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 11:23:13 -0400

Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 11:12:22 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu (David Farber)
From: "Richard J. Solomon" <rsolomon () dsl cis upenn edu>

Dave:

Well, after I woke up in the middle of the night from my 24 hour
journey from Land's End in Cornwall, UK,  to Massachusetts, I tested
my new Region 2 & 4 "PAL" CDs on the Apex 600A, the hot, region
circumventable available until recently at Circuit City
<http://www.circuitcity.com>. They work great!

First of all, the PAL/NTSC designations on DVDs encoded with MPEG-2
are phony. There is no such thing. All the MPEG-2 DVDs are the same
as to encoding, including SECAM. What is different is how the DVD
player outputs the signal, and the aspect ratio (which is often an
option). The Apex outputs either NTSC or PAL, (or RGB component to a
computer monitor, for that matter), and a choice of aspect ratios.
So the "PAL" DVDs that I just bought in London & the "SECAM" in
Lille, France, worked fine on my NTSC system. Better than that, they
looked like HDTV on my interlaced 27" set at couch potato distances.
My ProLogic surround sound system didn't hurt either, but with a
stereo TV isn't really essential.

Apex says they will change the codes, but the codes are built into
the remote, which I understand is true of almost all the DVD
players. Only the box is different. Since the code is just an
elemental key -- easy enough for a junior-high computer scientist to
figure out -- it doesn't sound like Hollywood has a chance to
effectively restrict region hopping. Of course, the reason they did
this in the first place is that they charge double or triple for the
same DVDs in Europe than they do in the U.S. I bought a Region 2/4
PAL "The Big Lubowski" (our family favorite) for  £19 (> $35) -- it
sells discounted in the U.S. for around $12. I did find a store that
gave me a two-for-one deal (still priced), so I also got "Citizen
Kane" in B&W, marked "PAL only", which is nonsense for a monochrome
video. B.S. I also got some railroad steam DVDs made in China and
Europe that I don't think I can easily get in the U.S. Oddly, the
Chinese Steam video (excellent quality if you only look at the
pictures -- the soundtrack was pure hilarious Communist propaganda)
was marked Region 2 "NTSC". That's because its primary market is
probably Japan which is NSTC, but Region 2 like Europe. (The U.S. is
Region 1.) Weird.

All in all, the Region nonsense is bound to fail. I visited a major
display manufacturer on the Continenet and they felt the policy was
against any manufacturers' interest to support. It also is not good
for independent producers -- just the majors who wish to practice
discriminate (called by economists, "Ramsey") pricing.

BTW, while it is illegal to sell Region 1 DVDs in UK stores that are
licensed by the movie industry, it is not illegal to buy them via
mail order from the U.S., and it is not illegal to modify your
Region 2 DVD player to play all regions. Chips are available for
just that, but it is easier to just re-program the players from the
remote.

Richard