Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: A day of satisfaction as corporate bully gets comeuppance

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 05:32:23 -0400

http://www.mercurycenter.com/svtech/columns/front/docs/dg040400.htm

Dan Gillmor: A day of satisfaction as corporate bully gets comeuppance
BY DAN GILLMOR
Mercury News Technology Columnist

GUILTY.

Microsoft Corp. is officially a corporate lawbreaker. The rule of
law, at least for the moment, is victorious over the tyranny of
untrammeled capitalism.

A federal judge appointed by Ronald Reagan, the most pro-business and
anti-antitrust president in recent memory, has shown again why our
system has such strength. Thomas Penfield Jackson, no friend of
interventionalist government, listened to the testimony and looked at
the evidence in the landmark Microsoft antitrust trial. He came to a
common-sense result -- that Microsoft has willfully, repeatedly and
contemptuously violated the law -- and we are all in his debt.

This is a day for satisfaction, not joy. Those who chortle over a
bully's comeuppance shouldn't forget that this particular bully has
done many things right and that most of the people at Microsoft are
honest and diligent. And given that many Silicon Valley executives
would mimic Bill Gates' worst acts if they had the chance, their glee
isn't all that attractive.