Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Project On Government Oversight (POGO) leaders subpoenaed!

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 19:46:14 -0400

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 15:06:07 -0800
From: Jim Warren <jwarren () well com>
Subject: Project On Government Oversight (POGO) leaders subpoenaed!

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 12:01:21 -0700
From: Beth Daley <beth () pogo org>
To: POGO Friends & Allies <pogo () pogo org>
Subject: May 4th Hearing on POGO

ALERT to POGO Friends and Allies --

WHAT:   POGO's entire Board & assistant director Keith Rutter have
been subpoenaed to appear at a Congressional hearing on the Project On
Government Oversight (POGO)

WHO:  House Resources Committee/Subcommittee on Energy & Mineral
Resources -- Chairman Don Young & Subcommittee Chairwoman Barbara Cubin

WHEN:  10:00 am, Thursday, May 4, 2000 (get there early, Big Oil's
lobbyists will be lining up)

WHERE:  1324 Longworth House Office Building

YOU CAN HELP!!!  Give us a call or stop by our offices (1900 L St NW
#314) on Wednesday, May 3rd if you'd like to get a free POGO t-shirt to
wear to the May 4th hearing to show you are in solidarity with us.  We
will also have buttons at the hearing.
_______

BACKGROUND:  We sincerely appreciated the wonderful outpouring of
support when POGO refused to comply with Don Young's unconstitutional
subpoenas for our phone records in February.  More than 100 nonprofits
supported our decision.  Unfortunately, Young and the Committee's
harassment campaign continues.

This May 4th hearing is the culmination of a year-long retaliatory
attack on POGO for forcing the government to act to retrieve a projected
½ BILLION dollars that big oil companies shortchanged for drilling on
federal and Indian lands.

Young and Cubin (3rd & 7th largest recipients respectively of oil & gas
industry campaign contributions in the House) have intentionally used
their Committees to divert attention from Big Oil's royalty
underpayments.  Failing in this effort, they have resorted to attacking
POGO with numerous unsubstantiated and malicious lies in press releases,
the media, and in Committee meetings.

We are working hard to make sure that this hearing gets the attention it
deserves -- and that, in the future, other public interest groups aren't
tortured for their advocacy.  We welcome and need your help, input,
ideas.

To learn more about attacks on POGO, visit our web site at
http://www.pogo.org or give us a call.  Please help us spread the word.
Thanks for your support!

--
Beth M. Daley
Director of Public Affairs

The Project On Government Oversight's (POGO) mission is to
investigate, expose, and remedy abuses of power, mismanagement,
and subservience by the federal government to powerful special
interests.