Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: a PU perspective -- Europe's Internet Lag: An American Fabrication?

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 09:49:00 -0400

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 09:41:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eszter Hargittai <eszter () phoenix Princeton EDU>
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Re: IP: Europe's Internet Lag: An American Fabrication?

Hi,

The article's title is intriguing but says little to prove that the lag is
a fabrication. In fact, most examples cited just prove that there really
is less action in Europe and there is little to convince the reader that
this is about to change.

It may be more a matter of them being fee-phobic -- since most [govt-owned]
Euro phone monopolies charge by-the-minute for ALL calls ... local or
long-distance; residential or business.

Yes.. it's  easy to imagine how this may impact usage.  But imagination
can't capture actual effects. My recent stays in Switzerland, Italy,
Hungary, and France showed me that I write email and surf the Web (if at
all) VERY differently when I'm paying by the minute or have to wait until
midnight for 'reasonable' fees.  I wouldn't be surprised if people used
the Net more at work in these countries. We need some studies on this and
information on how employers are reacting to the trend.

By the way, gov't ownership, per se, may be less of an issue than monopol
status (whether private or public), or how political control operates with
respect to the organization (see, for example, Raymond Duch: Privatizing
the Economy, (1991, Univ Mich Press)).

With respect to the importance of telecom, my most recent work on
explaining the differences in Internet connectivity among OECD countries
shows that economic wealth and telecom policy (monopoly/competition
dichotomy) are the most salient predictors of an OECD country's Net
connectivity.  (forthcoming, Telecommunications Policy)

Eszter

Eszter Hargittai       http://www.eszter.com
Sociology Department
Princeton University