Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Massive Fiber Cut Pauses East-West Traffic

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 17:17:49 -0400

Massive Fiber Cut Pauses East-West Traffic

Click on our sponsors! Updated 11:42 AM ET September 29, 1999By Max
Smetannikov, Smetannikov, Inter@ctive Week

At least four Internet service providers are experiencing severe
traffic backlogs because of a massive fiber-optic cable cut that put
out four OC-192 lines connecting data networks on the East and West
Coasts.
Industry sources told Industry sources told Inter@ctive Week that the cut was accidentally
made by an unidentified gas company in Ohio around 12:30 EST today.

The news is sending shockwaves through the networking community, with
many carrier operators struggling to understand why, all of a sudden,
their traffic is routed through London and Denmark. At least four
Internet service providers are being affected by the outage. Various
online sources have named AboveNet; GTE Internetworking; and MFS
Communications, a WorldCom subsidiary, as ISPs hit the worst.

"Let me tell you, it really hurts right now," said Dave Rand,
AboveNet's chief technology officer. "We were given a 1 hour estimate
for this problem to be corrected."

GTE Internetworking's public relations department had heard of an
outage in Pennsylvania earlier today, but had no comment on the Ohio
development. MCI WorldCom public relations didn't have an immediate
answer to the query.
Low PC prices ignite huge August sales (Next story)