Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: A Total Eclipse of Reason

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 19:36:10 -0400

A Total Eclipse of Reason

by JOHN RENNIE who is editor in chief of Scientific American.
published in recent issue of Scientific American

Kansas turned out the lights more permanently by endorsing ignorance
of evolution.

This past August took me to Munich for a viewing of the total solar
eclipse. Years of casual study about total eclipses could not prepare
me for the merciless beauty of our sun as an unfathomable black disk
ringed in angry white fire. And the experience reminded me of how
thin the veneer of human rationality could be: standing in a field
under the weird end-of-the-world light, I felt some of the historical
fear of those events, as though monsters might suddenly claw their
way out of the earth to carry us away. But then the bright light of
reason returned, and I got over it.
Meanwhile, back in the U.S., the Kansas State Board of Education was
trying to turn out the lights more permanently. Acting out of a
covert social agenda, it decided that teachers could omit mentioning
those inconvenient ideas, evolution and the big bang.

This is just an embarrassment. And a betrayal of the majority in
Kansas, who I believe know better. At the end of the 20th century,
for an allegedly responsible governing body to endorse ignorance of
evolution and modern cosmology as a more appropriate way to teach
science is a grotesque perversion.

The reasoning--I gag at calling it that, but carry on--behind this
decision is that evolution and the big bang are just theories, not
facts. As such, other explanations for how life and the universe came
to be are not only equally valid, they're equally scientific. Never
mind that biologists and astrophysicists find overwhelming evidence
in support of these ideas. They must be biased.

Why stop at evolution and cosmology, though? Let's make sure that the
schoolkids of Kansas get a really first- rate education by loosening
up the teaching standards for other so-called scientific ideas that
are, after all, just theories. The atomic theory, for example. The
theory of relativity. Heck, the Copernican theory--do we really know
that the universe doesn't revolve around the earth? It sure looked
that way during the eclipse.

The irony is that so many people are worried about the state of
science education in this country for the wrong reasons. As W. Wayt
Gibbs reports in this issue in "The False Crisis in Science
Education," although many policymakers are in a dither about poor
science teaching leaving the U.S. uncompetitive, little suggests that
American students are doing badly at all. The real crisis is not that
science is being taught poorly; it's that meddlers in Kansas and
elsewhere are stopping science from being taught, period.

Joking about flat-earthers in Kansas is easy. Ranting about it,
easier still. But I'm calling on educators and anyone else who can to
act.

If you are on the admissions board of a college or university
anywhere in this country, please contact the Kansas State Board of
Education or the office of Governor Bill Graves (785-296-3232 or
email, governor () ink org). Make it clear that in light of the newly
lowered education standards in Kansas, the qualifications of any
students applying from that state in the future will have to be
considered very carefully. Send a clear message to the parents in
Kansas that this bad decision carries consequences for their children.

If kids in Kansas aren't being taught properly about science, they
won't be able to keep up with children taught competently elsewhere.
It's called survival of the fittest. Maybe the Board of Education
needs to learn about natural selection firsthand.

JOHN RENNIE is editor in chief of Scientific American.