Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: At front of class, it's Rep. Weldon

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 11:13:00 -0400

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 09:17:07 -0400
From: Da Hsuan Feng <DA.HSUAN.FENG () saic com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: At front of class, it's Rep. Weldon

http://www.phillynews.com/inquirer/99/Sep/14/pa_west/WCURT14.htm

At front of class, it's Rep. Weldon

The Republican congressman is teaching a course on national security
at Widener University this semester.

By Anne Barnard
INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

CHESTER -- A sometime firefighter, teacher and mayor of Marcus Hook,
Rep. Curt Weldon (R., Pa.) is borrowing another title this fall:
professor.
Last week at Widener University, he led his first class of a
three-hour seminar, "Issues in American National Security," that he
is teaching with Martin E. Goldstein, a government professor.
Weldon has focused on relations with Russia and China during his 12
years in Congress. He said he planned to draw on that experience in
the course, which will focus on a different topic in global security
each week.
"Using my contacts from working Russia and China issues, I think I
can create a model that some of my fellow members can follow if they
want to teach in their districts," Weldon said yesterday.
Widener spokeswoman Karen Toth said the plan grew out of Weldon's
longstanding relationship with the university. He gave the
commencement address for his daughter's graduating class there in
1997. Weldon said that tossing around ideas with the 20
undergraduates in the 200-level class -- mainly political and
economics students -- will help him "not be locked in by the
Beltway."
Inside-the-Beltway concerns are holding up his decision on whether
to accept payment for teaching the class, he said.
The House Ethics Committee has yet to rule on whether Weldon can be
paid under the rules his fellow Republican, former Speaker Newt
Gingrich, famously violated during his own campus sojourn.
An Ethics Committee investigation found that a course Gingrich
taught at two Georgia colleges was funded by tax-exempt charities
"motivated by partisan, political goals." Weldon said he did not
expect any problem -- his salary would be paid directly by Widener,
he said, and his class is nonpartisan.
"This isn't about reinventing America or any social agenda," he said.
Just to make sure, he has invited New Jersey Rep. Rob Andrews, a
Democrat, to speak.
Sounding like a student excited about the first day of school,
Weldon talked about the syllabus of his course, covering topics from
the one-China policy to Russia's strategic position and new global
threats such as cyberterrorism.
He has lectured at universities from China to Hungary, he said, but
this son of parents who never attended high school is most excited
to be teaching in his own backyard.
"Teaching at Widener is nothing new" for political figures, he said,
pointing out that Sen. Joseph R. Biden Jr. (D., Del.) has taught at
the university's law school in Delaware.
"I guess I'm the Republican," he said.