Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: In Singapore, Little Brother is Watching!

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 03:33:18 -0400

Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 22:37:01 +0800
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: mengwong () pobox com (mengwong () pobox com)

 >From http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/spore/nplo08.html

   The next time you go shopping in Orchard Road, beware.

   Someone armed with a camera may be taking snapshots of
   you when you least expect it and posting them on the
   Internet, running your face with some humorous,
   provocative or naughty captions.

   These "Candid Cameramen" have set up a site called
   JCGirls (http://jcgirls.cjb.net) on the Internet.

   The site features pictures of young and pretty girls
   taken at popular shopping malls along Orchard Road, like
   Ngee Ann City, Orchard Cineleisure and The Heeren.

My comments:

In his novel "Earth," David Brin argues for a
"panopticon-of-the-people": in his future, everyone records,
everyone publishes.  Privacy in a public place is made
impossible: but not by the spying state, or by the prying
press, but by ordinary individuals who consider their
cam-feeds just another aspect of daily life.

Today, the West regularly criticizes Singapore for its "Big
Brother" government.  Citizens routinely submit to --- and
cooperate with! --- what American observers would consider
shocking trespasses by the state upon personal privacy.
Efficiency, security, necessity ... and people go along.

And Singaporeans sometimes pity the West for its overfree
press.  Journalists wielding the public's "right to know"
routinely barge in on the private lives of private citizens.
When I was a photojournalist I was taught that the paper
could publish any picture taken in a public place, subject
to the usual considerations of accuracy, libel, and
misrepresentation.  That's what it means, after all, to be
in a public place: people can see you.  My camera has
ruffled its share of feathers.

It's interesting, therefore, that the first signs of David
Brin's transparent society have arisen not in the United
States but in Singapore.

Trespasses upon personal privacy by the press are nothing
new.  By the state, neither.  In both cases something
private has entered a kind of "public" domain.

But for my privacy to be meaningfully eroded by another
private individual not associated with the state or the
press: that's something that simply wasn't possible
... until the web came along.

I wonder what will happen.

today's newspaper story: http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/spore/nplo08.html
books by brin: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/055329024X/