Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: Science vs. the Bible: Debate Moves to the Cosmos

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 13:19:23 -0400

From: "Shaya Potter" <spotter () yucs org>
To: "David Farber" <farber () cis upenn edu>

Dave, you have been posting many messages on the religion vs. science debate
recently.  However, there are many of us in the sciences who are religious
and don't see contradictions between accepted scientific theory and our
religious beliefs.  The main problem is probably by Christian
fundamentalists because they take a literal view of the bible (while I don't
want to stereotype people, that's been by observation) .  Personally, I
think they are short changing god by saying the bible has to be taken
literally.  When one reads a Shakespearean sonnet, one doesn't expect the
meaning to be literally visible, they expect to have to work through the
sonnet to try to understand Shakespeare's intent, and even then there are
many
arguments on interpretation that could be equally valid.   Why would the
bible be a lesser work?  If you want arguments showing how (for at least my
beliefs) religion and science don't contradict, I'd be happy to either write
up some answers for you, or direct you to the sources I'd use.

It should also be known, that the true believer in god can always answer
that there is no contradiction between religion and science: Since god is
omnipotent, god could have just as easily created a Universe with all the
trappings of a Universe many billions of years old, as easily as god could
have created a "newborn" Universe.  While this is (IMHO) a cop out answer,
there is no reason why it is necessarily wrong for a truly religious person
to believe it.  However, there are many other answers that I've seen that
don't rely on this "cop out" that I prefer.

----
Just for the record, I'm currently in Yeshiva University, double majoring in
Physics and Computer Science and minoring in Math.   I'd classify my
religious beliefs as modern orthodox (Jewish) leaning towards ultra
orthodox.
----

Thanks,

Shaya Potter
--
spotter () ymail yu edu        spotter () itd nrl navy mil
spotter () yucs org            spotter () betanews com