Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Internet bubble popping American business ethics

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 19:52:23 -0400

From: "the terminal of Geoff Goodfellow" <geoff () iconia com>
To: "Dave e-mail pamphleteer Farber" <farber () cis upenn edu>

http://www.redherring.com/insider/1999/1001/news-getrich.html

Internet bubble popping American business ethics?
By Sarah Lai Stirland
Redherring.com
October 1, 1999

As the world marvels at the "GetRichQuick.com" phenomenon in the
United States,
fewer people notice how the get-rich-quick mentality is wreaking havoc on
American business, according to prominent venture capitalists.

"What you're talking about really is a disease that's eating this whole
industry at it's heart," says Richard M. Burnes Jr., a co-founder of Charles
River Ventures. Mr. Burnes has been a venture capitalist for almost 40 years.

That disease is the desire to found a dot-com business, take it public, and
then take the money and run.

Both start-ups and corporate America are already suffering from this
get-rich-quick mentality, observe other veteran venture capitalists.

An unspecified Menlo-Park, California-based start-up funded by
Highland Capital
Partners has recently experienced a turnover rate of 150 percent, says Dan
Nova, a Highland Capital managing general partner.

<snip>

http://www.redherring.com/mag/issue70/news-angler.html

The angler
Our advice to Internet company investors: Sell now!
By Anthony B. Perkins
Red Herring magazine
 >From the September 1999 issue

With a little math help from the Internet-industry guru Bill Gurley of
Benchmark Capital, and the number-crunching expertise of Broadview
International's team of financial analysts, I believe we are the first to take
a comprehensive swipe at calculating the size of the Internet stock
bubble. And
the bottom line to our analysis is very simple: with very few
exceptions, every
one of the 133 public Internet companies we have included in our Internet
Bubble portfolio is overvalued. Our advice to Internet investors is equally
simple: if you hold any of these stocks, it's time to sell.

As we write these words, we can already hear the screams. Your highest-pitched
jeers will accuse us of being Internet-industry naysayers, unbelievers in the
"new economy," and downright traitors to our hometown here in Silicon Valley.
And believe us, we feel your pain. The Internet boom has created billions in
new -- largely paper -- wealth for thousands of entrepreneurs and
investors, so
why stop the party now?

Well, we hate being party poopers, but it's time to step out of the Internet
reality-distortion field and sober up a little. It's time to discern what's
real and what's fluff. And it's time to take action on what we know
to be true.

<snip>

Geoff_Goodfellow () iconia com, Prague CZ * tel/mobil +420 (0)603 706 558
"Success is getting what you want & happiness is wanting what you get"
http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/99/01/biztech/articles/17drop.html