Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Gore really gets high technology

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 13:50:34 -0400

Love to publish a similar appraisal of other candidates djf

Published Sunday, October 3, 1999, in the San Jose Mercury News

PAUL LIPPE

Gore really gets high technology

By Paul Lippe

IMAGINE that you are a board member of this wonderful enterprise called the
United States of America, appointed to a search committee to select the
next president.  And now you're asked to evaluate the candidates for
president the same way a Silicon Valley company selects its CEO, by looking
at a set of objective criteria that you think are reasonable predictors of
success in the job.

Let's see how Vice President Al Gore would stack up.

1. Al Gore gets it.  Long before most people in Washington of either party,
Gore recognized there was a difference between potato chips and computer
chips. Gore has been a supporter of Silicon Valley and the New Economy for
over 20 years.

While it was an unfortunate choice of words to say he "invented" the
 >>Internet<<, the truth is that Al Gore was one of the first to support the
 >>Internet<<'s development and ensure that the first $8 billion of
 >>Internet<< infrastructure was built.

He has put in the time and effort to understand Silicon Valley and how what
we do will affect the broader society.

2. Gore has the courage of his convictions. Gore is a Vietnam vet; he could
have avoided service like many others did, but he went willingly. A decade
ago, Gore led the effort to draw attention to global warming, even though
it was  politically risky. He has taken pro-business positions that were
unpopular with the left wing of the Democratic party, and pro-environment
positions that were unpopular with business.

3. Gore has a track record of execution. Gore has been a driving force
behind the economic policies of the Clinton-Gore administration that have
given us the best economy in our history. Thanks to Clinton-Gore's policy
of balanced fiscal policy, open trade, investment in education and
infrastructure, and support for R&D, the United States has created 19
million new jobs (twice the number created during the Reagan-Bush years),
and moved 6 million people from welfare to work in the last six years.

4. It makes sense to put someone in charge who values the job. The
Republican Party for the last 20 years has almost always argued for
shrinking the role of the federal government. This is an interesting
ideological position, and sometimes correct, but no matter which party
holds the presidency, the federal government will remain roughly 20 percent
of the entire economy. In Silicon Valley we would not think of putting a
CEO in charge of eBay who didn't believe in online auctions, or a CEO of
Intel who didn't have passion for the ability of microprocessors to improve
people's lives.

5. Al Gore will maintain balance within Washington. Today, Republicans
control both Houses of Congress and Republican-nominated justices
constitute a majority of the Supreme Court. If Bush is elected, the
Republicans would likely dominate all three branches of government.

Today's Republican agenda is dominated by prayer in schools, extreme tax
cuts and blocking gun control.

Gore's positions are much closer to Silicon Valley's on non-economic
issues. Gore has cast critical votes to limit assault weapons and protect
wilderness and open space and fight sprawl. He favors a woman's right to
choose. He has taken strong positions to expand access to health care for
the uninsured.  He recognizes the need to protect >>privacy<<.

6. Gore will maintain balance between Washington and Silicon Valley. My
Republican friends say that Gore isn't 100 percent down the line for
Silicon Valley, pointing to Y2K litigation reform or >>encryption<<. Why do
they think it is the role of the president of the United States to simply
check off every item on Silicon Valley's shopping list?

Sophisticated systems thinkers in Silicon Valley recognize we are best
served by maintaining balance and equilibrium.

Gore is with us when it counts. Gore has led the fight -- within the
Democratic Party and for seven years as vice president -- for market- and
innovation-friendly initiatives that are important to Silicon Valley.
Making the R&D tax credit permanent, export control reform, H-1B visa
increases, securities law reform, a moratorium on >>Internet<< taxation,
finding a compromise on >>encryption<< are all issues where Gore has led
the way.

7. Gore has absolute integrity. For most of the last seven years, the main
criticism leveled against Al Gore was that he was dull. Cool. The man is a
model of probity. Married for 30 years, four kids, twenty-five of
unquestioned integrity in public life, Gore represents the best in America.

If we judge the candidates in the same way that a Silicon Valley board
would select a CEO -- on the basis of experience, track record, true
leadership, fitness for the job, and predicted performance -- it's clear
that Al Gore gets the nod.

Paul Lippe is a senior vice president of Synopsys, a Silicon Valley
software company, and a member of TechNet. The views expressed in this
article are his own.