Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Some comments on: A favor PLEASE look at and answer this question

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 07:23:26 -0500

From: "John Locke-Wheaton" <john.locke-wheaton () bigfoot com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Public: RE: A favor PLEASE look at and answer this question
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 09:30:31 -0000

Your question on how much we trust organisations that handle personal
information about our lives - both government and commercial - triggered
some interesting lines of thought. Not least, I have suddenly realised how
little I trust organisations in which I would have placed great trust only a
couple of years ago. And what little trust remains is dwindling with each
passing month.

Why is this? Am I getting more cynical with age, or are organisations

-       realising the commercial potential of the information they hold

-       under pressure to maximise the value of everything they own and do

-       getting braver about how close to the wind they can sail

-       understanding the power of the internet

The internet works by both publishing and passing URLs (addresses for
information and services). However, behind the scenes, it also works by
cross-advertising, selling eyeballs to partner sites, selling email
addresses and selling personal profiles.

These ideas are not new in the bricks-and-mortar world, but the internet
makes it both easy to do and economically attractive, with high numbers of
low-cost transactions delivering small financial increments that add up to a
lot of money. And you don't have to go to a dodgy bar to set up deals - it
is all a click away from your nice safe desk.

Europe has theoretically strong data protection laws to stop inappropriate
leakage of personal information but I am not sure I trust European
institution any more than those in less regulated countries. And anyway, as
we have seen with government-regulated (or taxed) financial dealings, the
internet makes it easy for companies to operate off-shore in a less
controlled (and financially more rewarding) environment.

The future looks to be a less secure place, with ever more emphasis on the
individual protecting themselves. However, if an organisation does something
that we consider to be undesirable with our personal information, what
redress do we have? Law is too expensive and too risky - and may become
un-enforceable across international borders.

We could create a stockade around our net access devices using personalised
equivalents of corporate firewalls. If we ride out across the new electronic
frontier, gun-law rules. Except that as individuals, we don't have any guns!

John Locke-Wheaton
above the horizon
+44 (0) 7044 011 532  voice PA, fax
john.locke-wheaton () bigfoot com