Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: All Pros and No Cons? It's a Con...

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 19:48:04 -0500

JEAN-LOUIS GASSÉE COLUMN:
All Pros and No Cons?  It's a Con...

When an idea, a proposition, a cause is presented to me in
terms that leave me no alternative but to be for it, because
it's all pros and no cons, then I know I'm being conned. How
can I be against freedom? How can I be against innovation?
How can I be against freedom to innovate? So, when I hear
Microsoft's carefully orchestrated refrain -- all we ask is
the freedom to innovate, we'll never renounce our freedom to
innovate -- being sung by top executives and paid consultants,
I wonder. Do they really believe this? Or is it a calculated
bet on what our emotional response to an appeal to higher
principles will be?

Last Friday, November 5th, Judge Jackson gave his decoding of
Microsoft's refrain. His finding of facts concludes that
Microsoft is a monopoly. To quote his concluding paragraph:

  ... Microsoft has demonstrated that it will use its
  prodigious market power and immense profits to harm any
  firm that insists on pursuing initiatives that could
  intensify competition against one of Microsoft's core
  products. Microsoft's past success in hurting such
  companies and stifling innovation deters investment in
  technologies and businesses that exhibit the potential
  to threaten Microsoft. The ultimate result is that some
  innovations that would truly benefit consumers never
  occur for the sole reason that they do not coincide with
  Microsoft's self-interest.

The entire document is at <http://usvms.gpo.gov/findfact.htm>.
It's long (412 paragraphs), but worth reading. It's written
in plain English and takes pains to establish definitions for
products and markets in order to create a structure for the
findings.

The net effect of the finding is troubling. Even for someone
as ambivalent (as in having truly mixed feelings) as yours
truly towards Microsoft, my emotions range from surprise to
sadness, laced with the expected irritation. Surprise, because
I didn't expect the breadth and depth of abuse of power
discussed by Judge Jackson's. From large companies such as
IBM or Intel, to ISVs, service providers, and tiny start-ups
such as ours, no one seems to escape Microsoft's vigilance.
"Most harmful of all is the message that Microsoft's actions
have conveyed to every enterprise with the potential to
innovate in the computer industry", concludes the Judge.

My sadness at the language and conclusions of the finding
comes from looking at the impenetrable wall of paranoia and
misunderstanding. I'm reminded of a six-hour conversation
I had with Bill Gates at a PC Forum conference early in 1988.
He complained repeatedly that Apple didn't trust him, and
nothing I said could help him see why his actions and words
created fear and distrust.

A decade later, I've personally seen grown men fear for their
company and themselves at the thought of incurring Bill's
wrath and Microsoft's retaliation if they didn't "behave."
DOJ officials spoke bitterly about PC makers' unwillingness
to come forward to testify about Microsoft's business practices.
Perhaps, but they would have done so at great potential cost.
I'm in no position to blame them; I declined to testify
because it might have interfered with other projects that
were then pending at our company and also because testifying
would have cost us hundreds of thousand of dollars in legal
fees.  We couldn't take those risks.

Still on the topic of the wall of misunderstanding, there is
Microsoft's "what's mine is mine, what's yours is negotiable"
attitude. Bill Neukom, the company's chief legal eagle, takes
the position that "It's our song" when asked about the
restrictions placed on Windows licensees. It's our song and
we're free to dictate the way it'll be played on PCs. This
is a strange metaphor. If I pay the royalties, I'm free to
sing "Let it Be" in any key I want, preceded and followed
by whatever act I fancy.

Returning to Microsoft's licensing, they used it as a club
to prevent potentially errant PC makers from making BeOS
visible to their customers. It "works" like this: You can
use Microsoft's boot manager to load any number of OSes, as
long as they're made by Microsoft. If you (the PC OEM,
Windows licensee) use a non-Microsoft boot loader, you cannot
use it to load Windows. If you do, you're in violation of the
license and you could lose it -- and your business.

That's how Microsoft prevented Hitachi from visibly offering
Windows and BeOS at boot time. BeOS was loaded on the hard
disk, but the customer didn't see the choice at boot time.
You'd have to read complicated instructions to set up a
dual-boot situation yourself. A neat legal trick that
effectively prevents PC OEMs from offering a genuine dual-boot
situation featuring both Windows and BeOS.

In that context, when I'm asked what Judge Jackson's ruling
changes for us, I have to say that in the short-term, materially,
not much. Psychologically, however, it's different. The ruling
could open minds and, perhaps, doors. By shedding light on
Microsoft's practices, the finding of fact might limit the
company's ability to leverage its dominance of the PC market
into the emerging Web appliance sector. As for specific remedies,
they constitute a complicated, controversial topic. Fortunately,
I found one well-written survey of this issue in this week's
Time magazine (dated November 15th), shorter than Judge Jackson's
document but balanced and complete nonetheless.

BeOS Genki B7 and BeMail
"The mind of a Frenchman which is unfortunately trapped inside the body
of a Frenchman."  (John C. Dvorak ca. 1986)
Jean-Louis Gassee
Be, Inc.
800 El Camino Real, Menlo Park CA 94025
Voice: 650-462-4101