Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: WashingtonPost.com: Military Grappling With Rules for Cyber Warfare

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 03:45:45 -0500

Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 23:00:46 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: "Karen A. Metivier-Carreiro" <metivier () gwu edu>

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A35345-1999Nov7.html

Military Grappling With Rules for Cyber Warfare

By Bradley Graham
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, November 8, 1999; Page A1

During last spring's conflict with Yugoslavia, the Pentagon considered
hacking into Serbian computer networks to disrupt military operations and
basic civilian services. But it refrained from doing so, according to
senior defense officials, because of continuing uncertainties and
limitations surrounding the emerging field of cyber warfare.

"We went through the drill of figuring out how we would do some of these
cyber things if we were to do them," said a senior military officer. "But
we never went ahead with any."

[...]

David Farber
The Alfred Fitler Moore Professor of Telecommunication Systems
University of Pennsylvania
Home Page: http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~farber
Email: farber () cis upenn edu

Home: +1 610 274 8292; Cell and Office: +1 215 327 8756; Fax:  +1 408 490 2720