Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Nanotechnology article by Dan Gillmor

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 08:41:27 -0500

From: Tee Toth-Fejel <ttf () erim org>

Another excellent article from Dan Gillmor at
http://www.mercurycenter.com/svtech/columns/gillmor/docs/dg101599.htm
He called me smart and talented!  Imagine that!  :-)

The only thing of note that he missed was the release of Robert Freitas new
book "Nanomedicine", which I suspect is destined to become a classic.
Check out http://www.foresight.org/Nanomedicine/Respirocytes.html to get a
small hint of what nanotechnology is about.

Nanotechnology: from science fiction to fact

BY DAN GILLMOR
Mercury News Technology Columnist

WHAT if we could manipulate atoms or molecules, one by one, and put them
together in precise patterns of our choosing?

Well, consider a 747-sized airplane weighing 5 percent of the current model
but just as sturdy as the original craft. Or data-processing power equal to
millions of today's desktop computers in a box the size of a PC. Or a
machine so small it could individually find and repair damaged human cells.

This is the promise of molecular manufacturing and nanotechnology, a logical
extension of current trends that will surely revolutionize materials science
and could effectively redefine much of our environment, if not our very
lives. From science fiction a generation ago, nanotechnology is moving
squarely into the heart of plain old science.

I raise the subject because some smart, talented people are gathering in
Silicon Valley today through Sunday to discuss the state of the science at
the Palo Alto-based Foresight Institute's annual Conference on Molecular
Nanotechnology. While the papers being delivered represent high-end thinking
about the physical potential of this emerging field, the conversations will
also inevitably move into metaphysical planes as well, because molecular
engineering raises massive legal, economic, ethical and even moral
questions.

K. Eric Drexler is chairman of the Institute (www.foresight.org), a
non-profit organization. (I've donated a small amount of money.) He's also
the author of many articles and several books on nanotechnology, including
the pathbreaking 1986 volume, ``Engines of Creation.''

Drexler is first to acknowledge that the idea of nanotechnology didn't leap
from his brain. Perhaps the greatest visionary on the subject was the late
Richard Feynman, among the great physicists of the 20th century. In 1959
Feynmann proposed building matter molecule by molecule, or even atom by
atom. (A highlight of the conference, being held in Santa Clara, will be the
announcement of the winner of this year's Feynman Prize in nanotechnology.)

Molecular manufacturing and nanotechnology are about miniaturization. When
we can manipulate individual molecules, even atoms, we can create new (or at
least better) materials. But we will also be able to create the tiniest
machines that could do all kinds of things we can't even consider today, and
some of those tiny nano-machines will create more versions of themselves in
preparation for building something bigger.

Some of the most intriguing, and certain to be controversial, uses of
nanotechnology will be in the medical arena. The ability of tiny machines to
repair damaged cells, among other feats, strongly suggests the potential for
an indefinitely long human life span. The questions this raises are almost
limitless.

The more I study this, the more I wonder whether I should follow the example
of some extremely smart people. They've decided that the potential of
tomorrow's nano-medicines makes it sensible today to be, in effect,
flash-frozen upon death (a process also known as cryonics), then brought
back to life in a healthy body and mentally no worse for wear than, perhaps,
mild amnesia.

The notion of an extremely long life span is somewhat worrisome if
population control matter to you, among a host of moral and ethical issues.
But if we're to colonize other solar systems -- something I believe humanity
must do to ensure the survival of the species -- there seems to be little
choice.

There's even a terrestrial benefit, however, as Ralph C. Merkle, a research
scientist at Xerox Palo Alto Research Center and major booster of
nanotechnology, observed at a Foresight conference earlier this year. When
you expect to live indefinitely, he said, you tend to care more about
protecting the environment.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

Tihamer "Tee" Toth-Fejel                    Member of Technical Staff
(734) 623-2544                http://www.anteater.ann-arbor.mi.us/ttf/
Center for Electronic Commerce,
ttf () erim org
Environmental Research Institute of Michigan

David Farber
The Alfred Fitler Moore Professor of Telecommunication Systems
University of Pennsylvania
Home Page: http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~farber
Email: farber () cis upenn edu

Home: +1 610 274 8292; Cell and Office: +1 215 327 8756; Fax:  +1 408 490 2720