Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: a bit more on MS and Office

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 19:12:59 -0500

While I am distressed with the licence policy of MS I am very pleased with
the response I got that allowed me to fix the problem. I received a call
from MS telling me that when a registration failure over the Internet fails
to try the Telephone call method and tell them I was moving machines. They
rapidly and politely gave me a confirmation number.

Dave

ps that is in contrast with todays encounter with AT&T Wireless which while
pleasant was frustrating I called to ask how much time I had used this
month on their 1 Rate cell service and was told they had no way to tell me
since such information was not available to either customer service or
accounts. I had maybe forgotten to reset the highly inaccurate total call
time counter in my Nokia and thus have no idea how much I have used and at
25 cents per minute over the limit it can hurt.  As a pps I asked about
upgrading to a new Nokia and have gotten three different prices depending
on who I get on the phone.

Ma Bell, really (whoops sorry Ma AT&T)
David Farber
The Alfred Fitler Moore Professor of Telecommunication Systems
University of Pennsylvania
Home Page: http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~farber
Email: farber () cis upenn edu

Home: +1 610 274 8292; Cell and Office: +1 215 327 8756; Fax:  +1 408 490 2720