Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: carbon-based v. silicon-based switches

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 18:21:30 -0500

From: "Marshall Rose" <mrose () dbc mtview ca us>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

dave - i thought this might be grist for i-p; by sending it to you, we
realize you must disclose to your readers that you, lee stein, and marshall
are directors of iz.com. here goes:

over the last few years, the tv convergence effort has centered on hardware
and media companies working on the set-top paradigm. but, as gene
derosa of jupiter notes: with laptops getting cheaper, the operational
definition of convergence is people watching tv as they interact with their
laptops. some recent experiments are testing this model (e.g., abc's
drewcam, mtv's webriot, and our very own iz.com). our view is that the
difference in models depends on whether "switch" is in silicon or in carbon.

the silicon-based approach uses a set-top box as the switch. the tv
industry has made some headway, but faces a rather daunting challenge:
the effort to bring interactive tv to the masses must contend with the
tendency of today's "masses" to view tv as a passive activity --  regardless
of how good the show is. in other words, the carbon-based switch (read:
"the person sitting on the sofa watching tv") usually goes active only to
change channels. in contrast, when someone's sitting in front of a computer,
they want to be the programmer (read: "that which chooses the content").

the approach we're taking at iz.com is based on this latter observation.
since the carbon-based switch rules, why not produce a tv show for
that subset of people who can multitask between tv & the internet?

it turns out that this is a generational issue: each generation tends to
view the dominant media of the preceeding generation as providing ambiance
at the periphery. this happened to print, then to radio, and now to tv as
the internet takes the center. when my mother's primary goal is
entertainment, she'll turn on the tv; when she's doing something else, on
goes
the radio. for the emerging generation of adults, the internet is what you
do
to be entertained and you turn on the tv to provide "next generation
elevator music".

so, our convergence strategy is to produce tv shows that are watched
by the new demographic while they're online. there are a couple of
challenges here. the first is that the members of the new demographic are
media sophisticates - you need to be compelling to get their attention and
you need to be real to earn their respect. the second is that when someone
starts clicking on the remote, they'll click upto 22 times in a minute(!!).

we use a "horizontal network" model: because the concept of "loyalty" to a
channel is non-existent to the new demographic, we buy different time slots
from a variety of cable channels. they channel surf until they find
something
of interest and when they lose interest, they move on. hence, the current
show
is a lifestyle-oriented -- segments are 2-4 minutes long and deal with
music,
sports, activism, and fun stuff -- things of interest to the new
demographic.

each segment contains a call to action to the site: sometimes the call is to
a bunch of pages containing a lot more detail (e.g., the segment producer's
travel log), sometimes there's just a "page o'links" or a virtual tour of
where
the segment was shot, and sometimes there's a product for sale (gasp!). our
philosophy is that tv provides the taste and the web provides the depth.
we're
not alone in this view: many of the cable giants, e.g., CNBC, CNN, DSC,
ESPN,
etc., have been experimenting with earlier versions of this philosophy.

watching all this unfold will be a lot of fun -- tv is undergoing some major
changes over the next few years.

/mtr