Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on REMINDS ME OF THE New Information Order -- UN summit in Paris next week on Internet taxing & regulation

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 15:16:39 -0500

Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 13:21:34 -0500
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
From: George Sadowsky <George.Sadowsky () nyu edu>

As one who has watched UNESCO closely and visited both from a vantage point
within the UN system and outside of it, UNESCO has been nearly bankrupt
both financially and intellectually (and some might also argue morally) for
quite a few years now. It's a rotten shame, given that most of us value
what they _should_ stand for, Education, Science and Culture, very highly
indeed.

After remembering the New Information Order of the late 1970's, don't
forget UNESCO's Secretary-General in the early 1980's who reached an
unsurpassed level of patronage by not only giving UNESCO's top positions to
Senegalese (of which he was one), but only giving them to members of his
own tribe, of which there are, I believe, 6 in Senegal.
To paraphrase an old saying, "Hi, we're from UNESCO, and we're here to help
you."
George Sadowsky