Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: The decline (and maybe fall) of electronic systems

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 10:57:32 -0500

Over the past few months I have had several interesting encounters with
computer systems in ecommerce.

The first is a recurring problem First Card has with their credit card
systems. Twice in the past few months their credit authorization systems
have failed and they have fallen into the mode of declining authorizations.
I was at a gas station using my United First Card when it first did that
and there were numerous  customers searching for alternative cards. During
one of these outages an online system I use tried to do a monthly
re-authorization (for a small amount) and was declined. Real pain in the
neck. I suspect First Card needs a new PR firm and a new CIO.

The  today I called to iron out a mis-charge and was told their system was
undergoing updating and to call back in three hours. This was at 0930 est
so I suspect they crashed yet again.

Who needs to wait for Jan 1

Just to be fair , I called ATT earlier in the week and was told their
system also was undergoing UPDATING and to call back tomorrow.

What is going on with these systems?

Have we forgotten how to design (or did we ever know) reliable fault
tolerant systems outside the  telephone industry

Dave

PS for those who may make a nasty, my credit card account was fully
functional and current

David Farber
The Alfred Fitler Moore Professor of Telecommunication Systems
University of Pennsylvania
Home Page: http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~farber
Email: farber () cis upenn edu

Home: +1 610 274 8292; Cell and Office: +1 215 327 8756; Fax:  +1 408 490 2720