Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: More on George Gilder: Techno-Tyrant

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 08:36:03 -0500

Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 20:30:49 -0500
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
From: "David S. Isenberg" <isen () isen com>
Subject: More on George Gilder: Techno-Tyrant

Dave,

I'd like to give the folks on the IP list another view of George
Gilder.  I take exception to the title and tone of the Seattle
Weekly article (Techno-Tyrants by Emily White) that was recently
posted to the IP list.

George Gilder and I have been friends and colleagues for over two
years.  I respect his recent work on the revolution in information
processing and communications.  Notwithstanding, I view this
work with appropriate skepticism, and I encourage others to do the
same.  That said, the "Techno-Tyrants" article says nothing --
zero, zilch, null, zip -- about the merits, pro- or con-,
of George's recent work.

I came to know George Gilder because my "Rise of the Stupid Network"
(1997) was consistent with (and extended) a lot of the things George
had been thinking about.  Because of this, he invited me to speak
at his first Telecosm meeting.  When news of this invitation
got out, I got it from both sides -- (1) AT&T would not let me speak,
and (2) my friends took me aside and whispered, "sexist pig" and "to
the right of Atilla the Hun".

I was concerned, but George had already bought me a plane ticket,
the Telecosm agenda looked great, and George said, "Why don't
you come anyway," so I decided to go (but not speak).

The night before George's first-ever Telecosm meeting, he and
I had a long, leisurely, relaxed dinner.  (I was struck by this
generous gesture -- if it was *my* first big conference, any
relaxation on the night before would've been out of the question.)

During dinner, we "talked tech" and giggled at the several
sillinesses of AT&T.  In addition, I expressed doubts
about some of George's political positions, his association
with Steve Forbes, etc.  His willingness to engage openly, his
probing curiosity about what I had learned at AT&T, and his
ability to accept and discuss my disagreements where they
existed spoke more to me about who this man was than all of his
past flamboyance.

I still disagree with George Gilder on many issues.  And he remains my
friend, even when I attack Steve Forbes from the floor at Telecosm.
But our areas of agreement -- centered on the impacts of info-tech
changes on business -- are much more substantial.

George is a popularizer of technological advances that have the
potential to upset the status quo, to change the world.  His intuitions
about which technological advances are important, in my humble opinion,
are startling and sensible most of the time.

When George latches onto an idea, he has the capacity to drill down
to theoretical bedrock to understand it.  For example, when he
was writing his book "Microcosm", he took up residence
at CalTech for several months to sit in on Carver Mead's classes
on the foundations of VLSI.  Once he got the essence of it,
he told the story of the microchip revolution in a style that
made Mead's genius work accessible to a much wider audience.
Maybe not everybody; it must've been too deep for "Techno-Tyrants"
author Emily White.

George does not call himself a "futurist" or a "visionary."
He describes himself as an author.  And as an author, his focus
has shifted over the years.  This is not, as the article implies,
some kind of deep character flaw.  Certainly nobody faults Tom Wolfe
for being a Hell's Angel one year, an acid-head the next, an
astronaut-wannabe the third and a Wall Street financial thinker
the fourth.

But let us suppose that Gilder does indeed suffer from
flawed character, reasoning, and political correctness.
Let's say that George Gilder is wrong on gender roles,
wrong on supply-side economics, wrong on race, wrong on the
environment.  (Certainly his writings in these areas are not
consistent with my own beliefs much of the time!) Does this make
him wrong on technology's impact on business and society?

Let me answer with three anecdotes.

1. George's 1990 book, "Life after Television," spoke of a
"teleputer", which had all the properties of today's web browser.
I think he got it right -- in surprising detail -- five years before
most of the rest of us had any idea what was coming.

2. The CEO of PMC-Sierra, a communications chip design company,
told me that he didn't fully understand his own business until
he read Gilder's "Microcosm."

3. The CEO of Metromedia Fiber Systems told me that the nodal
event in founding his company was his reading of Gilder's "The
Coming of the Fibersphere," in 1992 (in Forbes ASAP).

The article's sniffing about sexism, right-wingism and
white boy's clubs is disingenuous.  If people had been stopped
by the political leanings of other innovators, then Shockley's
views might have prevented our development of the transistor
and the Nazis' would have prevented us from developing the
rocket and the jet engine.  Look, Magellan was a *monarchist*
fer crissake, but that doesn't make the world less round!

Even when the topic is technology, George Gilder is not always
right. No human is.  And I have seen him give speeches that are real
clinkers.  But he is one of the world's great explainers of how the
sweeping changes in today's information technology are shaping
the next era of human history, and he is profoundly insightful
often enough that *I* don't use quotes when I call him a visionary.

David S. Isenberg -- http://isen.com
------------------------------------

Professor David Farber
The Alfred Fitler Moore Professor of Telecommunication Systems
University of Pennsylvania
200 S. 33 rd Street
Philadelphia PA 19104-6389
Off  Use 1 215 327 8756 if no answer or no voicemail use 1 215 898 9508
Fax: 1 408 490 2720 ( touch 2 for fax or hit send)
Home:
POB 424
250 Good Hope Road (for Fedex) Home:+ 1 610 274 8292 voice; Fax +1 408 490
2720
( touch 2 for fax or hit send)
Landenberg PA 19350-0424
Primary occupation -- Tele-techno-yenta
Home Page: http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~farber
My PGP Key fingerprint: B4F6 0DA4 D8C9 8C70 2012 1C6B C378 6836 F7FB 5EC9
Member of the USA President's Information Technology Advisory Committee --
PITAC
Publisher and Editor of the IP List
Member of the Board of Directors of the Electronic Frontier Foundation
Governor of the ICCC
Visiting Professor  of the Glocom Institute of Japan
Fellow of the Cyberspace Law Institute
Member of the Advisory Board of the Center for Democracy and Technology
Senior Advisor of the ASIA NETWORK RESEARCH (ANR) - Malaysia
Member of the International visiting Committee of  KRDL Singapore

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin, ~1784
"Photons have neither morals nor visas" -- Dave Farber 1994
"A revolution is not a dinner party." -- Mao Tse Tung
"Farber is the Paul Revere of Cyberspace" -- Wired Magazine Sept 1996
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." --- John
Gilmore