Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: IF you only knew what I know

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 21:41:32 -0400

Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 18:34:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dan Gillmor <dgillmor () sjmercury com>
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>

http://www.mercurycenter.com/svtech/columns/gillmor/docs/dg053099.htm

IF you only knew what I know . . .

That line is the essence of something powerful and disturbing in our
society. It's a line that can't be refuted, because you can't prove a
negative. It justifies secrecy. It shields lies. It muddles trust.

``If you only knew what I know,'' say law-enforcement officials when they
insist that encryption, the scrambling of data to keep it from prying
eyes, is so dangerous that we may have to bar Americans from holding
private conversations online.

And it's what U.S. Rep. Christopher Cox, R-Newport Beach, is saying when
he asks us to take at face value a report made public last week by a
committee he chaired, the Select Committee on U.S. National Security and
Military/Commercial Concerns with the People's Republic of China. The
scary tales of nuclear-weapons spying almost certainly will be used to
justify new restrictions on the export of technology.