Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: My comments to the Wyoming PSC on reciprical compensation

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 21:08:48 -0400

Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 18:51:32 -0600
To: farber () cis upenn edu, ip-sub-1 () admin listbox com
From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat org>

May 7, 1999

Mr. Steve Oxley
Secretary and Chief Counsel
Wyoming Public Service Commission
2515 Warren Avenue, Suite 300
Cheyenne, Wyoming 82002
soxley () missc state wy us

Sir:

Imagine the following scenario. Suppose that I call up my mother, who lives a few blocks away, on the phone. My mother
answers, saying, "Son, how good of you to call! I have Uncle Sam in California on the other line!"

"Tell him 'Hi' for me," I say, and she does so.

If one follows the logic of our nation's incumbent local exchange carriers (ILECs), who seek to deny reciprocal
compensation for calls to Internet service providers (ISPs), my call to my mother has just become a long distance call.

Such a conclusion is, of course, absurd. When I dialed my mother, the call went through the local central office and
not via any long distance equipment. The phone rang just up the street, and her the call was clearly answered using
her (local) telephone set. The fact that she happened to relay information from me to my uncle in California does not
mean that my call to her telephone set should be treated as long distance -- for billing purposes or for any other
reason.

Yet, this is precisely the absurd conclusion that would follow if one concluded that calls to ISPs were "long
distance," and should be exempt from reciprocal compensation, because some of the information they conveyed was
relayed to the global Internet by the ISP's Internet routers, leased lines, and other equipment.

Likewise, a call to a voice messaging system, a paging service, or a FAX relaying machine which resent FAXes to a
remote location would likewise be considered a long distance call, even though it rang at a local office and was
handled by local equipment.

Worse still, the parties to the call may not themselves know, at the time the call is made, whether the information it
conveys may later be relayed to a remote location. (Such a possibility by itself would render any rule based on what
might later be done with the information unconstitutionally vague on both the state and federal levels.)

The "Duck Test"

A call to an ISP's modem is handled in precisely the same way   as any other local telephone call. (The central office
equipment, in fact, need not know whether a modem answered that particular call.) It rings like a local call. It can
result in a busy signal like a local call. It is answered by equipment which meets the same FCC Part 68 electronic
specifications as a telephone. And if one hooks a telephone up to the ISP's line, the call could actually be answered
by a human being. In short, it is electronically like a local call, is billed like a local call, travels through the
same equipment as a local call, and even carries audio like a local call (though the sound, in the case of a data
call, may only be intelligible to a modem). The service provided by the local telephone company is precisely the same
in both cases. In short, a call to a local ISP passes, in every conceivable way, the "duck test" for a local call.

It is even possible to have a telephone line that's used for both voice and data. Suppose an ISP's lines were
connected to a Touch-Tone operated switch which allowed calls to be answered either by a modem or a human being. If
reciprocal compensation were denied for that line, the calls that were answered by a human would clearly represent an
unwarranted loss of revenue to the carrier handling the call.

As the discussion above shows, the definition of a local vs. a long-distance call should not be dependent upon the
content of the call or what is done with that content. Nor should it be teleological -- that is, dependent upon
whether the information is -- or might be -- subsequently passed on to a distant location by some other means. To do
so would raise a myriad of hair-splitting issues. What's more, to enforce any such rule would require monitoring the
content of the connection -- not only an inappropriate measure, but one which may be unconstitutional for a government
entity to require. It might also pave the way for rules that would allow an LEC to dictate the sort of equipment that
could be attached to a telephone line which is billed in a particular way. (Such a requirement has not existed since
Carterfone, and the public has derived immeasurable benefit from being able to connect an innovative device of their
choice to their telephone lines so long as it is Part 68-compliant.)

In short, The only consistent, enforceable, and sensible conclusion is that a call to an ISP's local telephone number
is, indeed, a local call in every respect. While the FCC has given Wyoming's PSC the latitude to rule otherwise, any
movement to do so would cause irreparable harm to the citizens and businesses of Wyoming.

Sincerely,
Brett Glass
P.O. Box 1588
Laramie, WY  82073-1588