Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: GSM decoding for $4500 in 2.5 minutes

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 05:49:54 -0400

To: cypherpunks () toad com
Subject: GSM decoding for $4500 in 2.5 minutes
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 12:49:33 -0700
From: John Gilmore <gnu () toad com>
Sender: owner-cypherpunks () toad com

A Russian GSM interception system for US$4500 claims to offer
decryption of the content in 2.5 minutes.  See:

        http://www.rinet.ru/~uandi/gsm/

GSM Test & Surveillance System. This unit is our latest development,
it uses break through technology in decrypting cryptographic
algorithms A8, A3, A5 etc. used by GSM network. By using our unique
hardware and software, similar to DDI's features used to decode AMPS
network signals, Professional GSM Test & Surveillance System will
using the advanced software, track calls within the surrounding area,
staying with the call. It will display control commands to and from
the phone, monitor the voice channel (Voice) and reverse channel (SIM
- Subscriber Identity Module number, IMSI - International Mobile
Subscriber Identity, TMSI - Temporary Mobile Subscriber Identity,
Subscriber Authentication Key and PIN - Personal Identification Number
and other information).  The process of decrypting and making all of
calculations takes ~ 2.5 minutes, so the call length of the phone that
you are tracking must be at least that long in order for GSM Test and
Surveillance Unit to process and verify all of information to come up
with appropriate values for programming new SIM.