Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: one reaction Re:: Yugoslavia may lose some Internet access

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 16:23:27 -0400

Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 13:57:06 -0400
From: "K. N. Cukier" <100736.3602 () compuserve com>
Subject: Re: IP: Yugoslavia may lose some Internet access
Sender: "K. N. Cukier" <100736.3602 () compuserve com>
To: "INTERNET:farber () cis upenn edu" <farber () cis upenn edu>

Dave,

If it happens to pass, it will mark the first time a government has sought
to block another nation's connectivity to further a political objective.
And such an unsavory irony: After the Net's great stride in international
penetration while it weans itself from its DoD roots, it now finds itself
at the fulcrum of military conflict. Even in wartime, telecom carriers
still exchange traffic and terminate calls. Yet the U.S. move falls in line
with traditional steps aimed against the media (as opposed to transmission
networks) and resources. Knocking out radio and TV stations, as well as
freezing foreign assets, are standard fare among combatants.

I feared that these sorts of issues might arise when I wrote "Rich Man,
Poor Man: The Geopolitics of Internet Policy Making," delivered at the
Internet Society's INET'98 in Geneva.
<http://www.isoc.org/inet98/proceedings/5a/5a_2.htm>

In it, I offered "a policy-making perspective for the 'Internet diplomat'."

The first of the four points reads:

"Just as the central value of humanity is life itself, so with the Internet
the chief principle is connectivity. It is therefore a prerequisite that in
future conflicts, for example, connectivity is never cut off. There should
never be estrangement of users anywhere, for any offense. Today's popular
and arguably ineffective diplomatic penalties, such as economic embargoes,
frozen bank assets, and cutting of cultural ties, should never be extended
to the Internet. On the contrary, current obstacles to Internet
development, such as trade embargoes, should be eliminated. Connectivity is
sacrosanct at the level of international relations."

If the connectivity cut comes to pass, let's hope there is a quick and
massive reaction against the move. The Internet can't stop wars, but it can
prevent them. Connectivity must be preserved regardless of off-line
politics.

Cheers,

Kenn