Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: accidental law suit?

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 18:09:05 -0400

Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 09:23:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: E M <e_j_m () yahoo com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu

Ooops.  Sorry.  Didn't mean to file a lawsuit against you after all.
:)

http://www.wired.com/news/print_version/business/story/19486.html?wnpg=all

Intel: To Sue Is Human Leander Kahney

2:15 p.m.  4.May.99.PDT Via Technologies got a surprise package in the
mail last week from a potential business partner -— court documents
that were labeled "Intel" inside.

Intel had been negotiating a deal to cross license technologies with
the Taiwanese chipmaker, and filed a suit in US District Court
accidentally, according to Intel officials.

The lawsuit was a "draft," prepared as a contingency in case talks
broke down. It was meant to sit in the files until needed.

"It was a mistake," explained Intel spokesman Chuck Malloy. "It was a
clerical error at an outside law firm.... We had no intention of
filing suit at this stage."

The suit was submitted to the US District Court in San Jose,
California, on 28 April. Once submitted, the complaint could not be
withdrawn. Intel filed for dismissal of the case the same day.

Malloy declined to reveal any details of the case, except to say that
it concerned ongoing licensing discussions between the two companies
regarding Intel's P6 bus for chipsets.

"The license is confidential," Malloy said. "Both companies had some
issues, and we are in ongoing discussion about them."

Malloy said he didn't know how VIA took the surprise lawsuit. He said
Intel did contact VIA and apologized for the mistake.

Malloy said the firm in question, Brown & Bain of Phoenix, had worked
with Intel for years. As far as he knew, no heads rolled for the
slip-up.

Dean Hays, director of marketing at VIA's US office in Fremont,
California, said, "Nobody said anything to me about it. How can you do
something like that by accident?"

However, Hays said VIA had reached an agreement with Intel to license
its P6 bus technology in April, just after Spring Comdex.

Hays said the deal likely boosted Intel's P6 processor business by
helping to make the associated bus technology a standard. But at the
same time, it may have hurt its struggling chipset business.

Hays speculated that Intel's chipset executives were upset with the
processor executives for making the deal.

"Intel VPs have to compete against each other," he said. "I don't
think the chipset VPs were all that thrilled about it."