Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: from cyhst digest via rand Alumni mailing -- SOME ARPANET HISTORY

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:29:36 -0500

Date:    Thu, 25 Mar 1999 14:33:36 -0500
From:    "Willis H. Ware" <willis () RAND ORG>
Subject: Arpanet history

Community Memory: Discussion List on the History of Cyberspace

I want to comment on ARPANET, MILNET, et al history.  I had direct
experience with all of those events because of my position at RAND, my
involvement with DoD advisory committees, and the ongoing personal
interaction with the individuals in question. The following discussion
comes from my direct knowledge, plus conversations with the parties
concerned.

1.  Distributed Communications -- it was the name that Paul Baran coined
and used before Donald Davies (of the UK) later introduced the term "packet
switching".  At the time, Paul was in the Computer Science Department of
RAND; the department contained both a computer-science R&D program and the
corporate computer-services organization.  He worked directly for Keith
Uncapher [well known for his founding of the USC/ISI, his long term support
of (D)ARPA, contributions to the professional societies of our field] and
in turn, I was the department head.  The genesis of Paul's work was a
concern expressed by the USAF to RAND's president Frank Collbohm that
command-control communications would not survive a major nuclear attack.
Frank's thought was to use the AM radio stations as back-up, largely
because of their wide spread presence throughout the country.

Frank passed the project to Paul and eventually the Distributed
Communications concept arose.  The work is documented in a series of 12
Research Memoranda which are online at:

   http://www.rand.org/publications/classics

They discuss routing strategy (one of which was called the "hot potato
algorithm" at the time), implementation, network survival under attack,
survival as a function of network topology and redundancy, costs... in
short a complete and thorough analysis of the construct.

It is not clear how this work got coupled into DOD/ARPA interests.  The
reports were widely distributed and briefed; Uncapher was already at that
time in contact with ARPA.  Paul had many conversations with the industry,
notably AT&T and Bell Labs, and some interaction with ARPA.  There was
also networking interests at MIT and Lincoln Labs although the motivation
there was not driven by military interests but by computer system
networking.  Roberts, Lickleider, Kleinrock, Kahn and others were
colleagues; several of them later moved to ARPA.

In any event, eventually Larry Roberts, Lick Lickleider, Bob Kahn and others
at ARPA set out to build (what by then was called) a packet network to
inter-connect computer systems.  The clearly expressed belief at the time
was that such an interconnect would lead to sharing of computer capabilities
across the network, and in particular, make available specialized resources
to users nationwide. Some of the motivation was expressed in terms of making
super-computers available to the scientific R&D community without having to
own one directly.  The history of the early days of ARPANET is well
documented; no need to go into it here.

2. DDN.  The shortfalls of the DOD major message-communication network,
AUTODIN, had become well known and there were various proposals for
modernizing it.  One was to simply replace the aging computers; another was
to replace the entire system with modern technology, notably packet
switching.  The final proposal and project for AUTODIN-2 was (as I recall)
a mixture of packet-switching and circuit switching; the contractor, I
believe, was Western Union.  ARPANET was clearly an operational entity by
that time; and hence, the technical contest was (in essence) a fully
packetized network vs. a partially packetized one.

In any event, a review of the AUTODIN-2 proposal vs. piggybacking on
ARPANET technology was organized by Steve Walker (the founder later of
Trusted Information Systems) who was in OSD at the time.  I was a member of
his Defense Science Board committee, and one of the issues before us was
the contest between X.25 and TCP/IP protocols.  The DOD had, via the
ARPANET, adopted TCP/IP; the commercial world was signaling that it
intended to adopt X.25.  The National Research Council did a study of the
matter and recommended that DOD systems support both protocols.

The committee position and report was to cancel the AUTODIN-2 project,
instead to sequester that part of the ARPANET that even then had military
sites on it, and eventually to use it as the foundation for the DDN, the
Defense Data Network.

I recall the name Heidi Heiden (who was, contrary to the name, a male Army
colonel) as the action officer on the DOD side. I could possibly find a copy
of the report in my historical holdings.

Steve Walker, now active as a venture capitalist, would know more precisely
the details of the AUTODIN-2 caper, the politics of its cancellation, etc.
Perhaps he can be solicited to add his views.

                                       Willis H. Ware
                                       RAND Santa Monica, CA