Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: SEC exposes execs' personal data

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:46:30 -0500

To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat org>

According to an article published on C|Net NEWS.COM at

http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,34109,00.html

the SEC has been publishing the Social Security numbers (and other personal information) of executives of major
corporations -- required, for some reason, on many forms -- for years. The agency claims that it can't remove the
numbers from the Web, because it believes that this would amount to "altering" the documents.

To test this assertion, I went to the SEC's Edgar database to see if some major execs' personal information was really
on display. Sure enough, I found this on the first try:

http://edgar.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/789019/0000891020-96-000072.txt

Almost makes me glad I'm NOT a billionaire executive.

--Brett Glass