Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: More on Linux & Y2K unknowns?

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 20:59:00 -0500

Sender: jim () acm org
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 17:44:07 -0800
From: Jim Gillogly <jim () acm org>

Hi, Dave -

That message is essentially content-free.  "An unknown ice cream company
in Australia running some version of Linux as a server (print server,
file server, web server?) performing some unknown activity using an
unknown application went awry in some unspecified way."  No names or
contacts are given to check any of the non-info; "Linux central" is
not a well-defined entity.  I don't see how a question like this
could be expected to get an informed answer.

That said, Linus Torvalds has stated the Linux kernel has no Y2K
problems.  This says nothing about any applications, however, and
if some ice cream company wrote a database app with 2-digit dates
in the 1990's, they deserve what they're about to receive.

I would recommend upgrading to a 2030 or later version of Linux
before the Y2038 problem hits, however.

--
        Jim Gillogly
        Hevensday, 28 Rethe S.R. 1999, 01:30