Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on Mike Doughney's WIPO Speech]

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 08:42:45 -0500

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 08:33:17 -0800
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: "Robert (Bob) J. Aiken" <raiken () cisco com>

Dave

You can forward this to your list if you want.

I agree with the issues pointed out by Mike Doughney.  Its actually worse
than what he has described. What happens when a company in Germany
challenges your domain name registration? Do you have to travel to Germany?
What jurisdiction holds?  This is definintely a system where only large
corporations can play and win since they can afford the tens of thousands of
dollars for lawyers that many mere mortals on the net cannot afford to bring
and fight challenges. The small organizations, businesses and individuals
will have to capitulate to lwayer blackmail from large organizations. I was
on the US federal Gov's DNS ad hoc working group when it started and I
brought up this very issue many times. The PTO folks, State, and others on
the group did not care to hear this. They merely responded that those being
challenged would need to hire a lawyer.  It should be noted that the vast
majority of the represetatives on the US Gov's DNS ad hoc working group are
lawyers, which might explain their bent to solutions that help no one but
the lawyers (bank accounts that is).

bob