Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Unmeasured local service

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:59:42 -0500

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:28:26 -0500
From: Jock Gill <jgill () penfield-gill com>
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>

Dave,

Is anybody working to make sure people are aware of the connection
between the robustness of the  US economy and unmeasured local
telephone service?   If we allow the telcos to start charging for
calls to our ISPs, our economy will suffer the consequences.
Reducing the use of the internet by putting a price barrier in the
way is NOT good for the economy!  Just look at the state of the
economies where such price barriers are keeping internet usage at sub
optimal levels.

The reason why is simple.  The internet is simply the most effective
was we have yet devised to deal with imperfect knowledge. Those who
have a greater quantity of imperfect knowledge are simply not able to
compete as well as those who have less.

Regards,

Jock

--