Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: New Web Site to Monitor ICANN

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 06:36:59 -0400

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 12:44:38 -0400
To: farber () central cis upenn edu (Dave Farber)
From: David Post <Postd () erols com>

New Web Site to Monitor ICANN

Check out http://www.icannwatch.org/

Edited by David Post, Michael Froomkin and Dave Farber, ICANN Watch will
serve as a forum for understandingof, and informed debate about,
ICANN's role in managing the Domain Name System.

Reorganization of the Domain Name System, far from being an arcane
technical detail of Internet engineering, is a pivotal event in the
history of the Internet.

Whoever controls the DNS will be subject to immense pressure to stray
far beyond any limited technical functions because the domain name
system is the one place where enforceable global Internet policy can be
promulgated without any of the messy enforcement and jurisdictional
problems that bedevil ordinary law-making exercises on the Net.
Businesses, which now realize the huge economic stake they have in this
medium, and governments, which have spent the last few years worrying
about how they would ever get back their taxing and  regulatory
authority over Internet transactions, will view ICANN as the means to
impose their particular vision on Internet users worldwide.

With so much at stake, how can we be assured that ICANN will be able to
resist the pressure that will be brought to bear upon it? Where are the
checks on the new corporation's exercise of its powers? How can all of
those with a stake in the Internet's future i.e., all of us -- be
assured that ICANN will exercise its powers in the best interests of
the Internet community as a whole, rather than on behalf of one
particular faction or another?

ICANN Watch will serve as a forum for understanding and informed debate
about the implications of ICANN's activities. We have no particular
viewpoint to push or axes to grind; we will offer commentary and
criticism from a wide variety of different perspectives, guided only by
our belief in the power of ideas and informed discussion and debate to
shape events and institutions.

We hope you'll check it out.

David Post