Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Who needs Monarch Butterflies anyway?

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 10:38:21 -0400

Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 18:20:44 -0800
To: farber () cis upenn edu, ip-sub-1 () admin listbox com
From: Stewart Brand <sb () gbn org>
Subject: Re: IP: Who needs Monarch Butterflies anyway?

Sigh.  Rifkin is, as usual, largely wrong and greatly overstated.  Remember
the Recombinant DNA panic of the 1970s?  Same issues, same alarm, same
rumors.  No actual harm occurred apart from the panic.
"Genetically-modified!" scares some people the same way "Internet!" scares
other people.  (Lefties are knee-jerking at the corporate angle of
genetically modified, while Righties knee-jerk at the out-of-control angle
of the Internet.  Both developments are mainly great good news for
civilization.)

I was trained as a ecologist back when it was a science only.  I do
encourage caution and controls and the like, but emphatically not freakouts
and bans.  The biologists I know these days are rolling their eyes at the
Rifkinesque alarm in Europe.  Check the current cover story in The
Economist.

By the way, Monarch butterflies are famously adaptive.  Their caterpillars
are the only insect that can metabolize the ferocious natural insecticide
in milkweed.  They keep that poison in their tissues to gag birds who try
to eat them.  That's why Monarchs are bright orange and fly slow, to
advertise how poisonous they are.