Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Rutt Report #1 - An Introduction

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 15:19:56 -0400

From: "Rutt, Jim" <JRutt () netsol com>
To: "'Dave Farber'" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Rutt Report #1 - An Introduction
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 20:11:02 -0400

[for posting to the IP list]

Dear Fellow Netizens:

As you may have heard, last month I joined Network Solutions, Inc. as CEO.
For those of you who don't know, Network Solutions (with the help of our
many distribution partners) registers names for the com, net and org domains
on the Internet.  Domain names are the unique identifiers (such as
jimrutt.com, viperclub.org, aol.com, etc.) that labels Net resources in ways
that humans can more easily remember (under the surface, the computers use
numbers like  198.41.0.196 to talk to each other).  Through this role,
Network Solutions plays a vital part in supporting the growth of the
Internet and in protecting its stability and security.

I want to introduce myself to those of you in the Internet community who
don't already know me. I want you to know who I am, and what I believe about
this incredible thing we call the Internet.

The first thing I want to tell you is - I love the Net! I am a bona fide Net
head who first went online way back in 1980, when I went to work for "The
Source," one of the first consumer online services.   At The Source, I was
intimately involved with developing early versions of e-mail, bulletin
boards, and even e-commerce.  (I think I coined the expression "snail mail"
- cite: January 1981 The Source "Post" bulletin board system - but claims of
earlier usage welcomed!).   I was the inventor of The Source's "User
Publishing" program that allowed our customers to publish their own
materials on the network, a precursor in some ways to today's personal Web
sites.  I was also Godfather for Harry Steven's PARTICIPATE offering, one of
the first operational many-to-many computer conferencing environments.

I left The Source in 1982 to co-found Business Research Corporation, which
created several successful online information products for the investment
community including Investext and First Call.  Meanwhile, I became a
habitual CompuServe user, participating in numerous SIGs, CompuServe's
version of bulletin boards.  I was also a regular in MegaWars III as well.
I wrote one of the first PC software combat front ends for Megawars. If any
of you were bushwhacked on reset night by "Mother Fletche," ship 4726, that
was me!

My next home in cyberspace starting in 1989 was The WELL (www.well.com), the
pioneering many-to-many computer conferencing system that arose from the
Whole Earth Review and Catalog. It was on The WELL  that  The Electronic
Frontier Foundation was thought up.  I was part of the startup group and
became member number seven or so.  While I don't agree with everything they
say, I've been proud to be an EFF member ever since.  It was on The WELL
that I became a regular user of the Internet proper.  Before long, to get to
The WELL more efficiently, I became a customer of NETCOM, one of the very
first commercial ISPs. This  put me on  the Internet, mainline.  Later,  I
was one of Bill Schrader's first customers for a full UUCP feed at PSI.
While I mostly participated in misc.rural and comp.lang.perl, I found the
evolution of the alt.* hierarchy fascinating.

In 1992, I took my Net experiences back into the commercial world. I helped
transform The Thomson Corporation (www.thomcorp.com) from a
big-but-somewhat-stodgy publishing company into an aggressive, Net-oriented
information company.  I started Thomson Labs in 1994 with a major focus on
the Internet and related technologies.  By 1998,  well over $2 billion of
Thomson's revenue was from electronic products.  A major transformation for
a company whose previous core competency had been stamping ink on dead
trees!  I was Chief Technology Officer there (and chief of Internet
evangelizing) when I left to become CEO of Network Solutions.

Why all the history?  Because I want to be sure you know that Network
Solutions, a trusted Net third party, is led not by "a suit" who could just
as easily have wound up at a disposable diaper business, but rather by a
real Netizen who really cares about the Internet today and in the future.
Of course, as the CEO of a publicly traded company I have a duty to our
shareholders as well. There's no conflict, in my mind. I sincerely believe
that what is good for the Net is good for Network Solutions.  We're here to
grow with the Net.

In the past, perhaps Network Solutions hasn't reached out to the Net
community as much as it might have.  Building the robust infrastructure that
has supported the explosive growth of the last few years has kept our folks
focused on the technical and operational tasks at hand.  But I'm here to
tell you that while stability, security, and service will remain Job 1, we
will begin more aggressive outreach and interaction with the Net community.

To that end, I am establishing the office of Internet Ombudsman, whose job
it will be to work with the various constituencies of the Net, to make sure
that wherever possible we are doing right by Net values.   This ombudsman,
whom I will name soon, will have access to my office at any time.  When we
are doing or proposing something that threatens the values we hold, it will
be up to him or her to tell me about it. As I said before, what's good for
the Net is good for Network Solutions.

We'll be doing other things to reach out as well.  We'll further engage in a
dialog  on  our domain name dispute policy with the Net community.  We'll
also continue to solicit your views on some of the most vexing issues around
the domain name management system, like the need to take care of both the
privacy of registrants of domain names and the legitimate needs of trademark
owners to have access to information..

So just what are these Net values?  What set of philosophies allowed a
simple, obscure research network to become the central nervous system for
the planet earth?  How does it support a myriad of noncommercial purposes
while at the same time serve as the basis for a commercial marketplace that
grew to $300 billion in 1998 and will represent trillions of dollars of
economic activity by early in the 21st century? (see
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/business/daily/june99/internet20.htm).

I would argue that the essence of the Net value system is to be found at the
intersection of almost total freedom with voluntary and truly
consensus-based cooperation.   The Net's freedom provides the most
unfettered workspace ever created by or for the human mind. Cooperation on
the Net allows us all to work together to make the whole so much greater
than the sum of the parts.  When the cooperation is truly voluntary, the
free market in ideas allows the best models to prevail.  There are many
dead Internet "standards" out there (OSI anybody?) pronouncements by
self-designated net-gods that folks on the Net community rejected.  They
were dead on arrival.  This is as it should be. The cooperative community
that constitutes the Net is smart enough to quickly figure out what is in
its own good, and smart enough to ignore the rest.

As free and unfettered as the Net is, there is a need for a few very basic
rules of the road, such as protocols for things like TCP/IP and HTTP,
assignment of unique IP addresses, and ways to avoid collisions around
domain names.   What I would say, though, is that the goal should be to have
as few rules as necessary.  And these rules should always be about technical
issues that define how the Net functions, not about policies that dictate
what it is to be used for.

Some folks may argue that this freedom doesn't produce neat, tidy results,
and they are right.  Freedom is messy.   But it is the freedom to
experiment, try things never envisioned before, and to do the unexpected
that has allowed people to make the Net the astounding success that it is.
We need to preserve to the maximum degree compatible with stability and
security the traditional freedom of the Net if it is to remain this amazing
engine of innovation.

Of course, this freedom does not free us from responsibility to obey the
law.  And the unique aspects of cyberspace will no doubt require from time
to time new laws and new interpretations of old laws.  Those laws, though,
should be enacted through elected representatives who are accountable for
their actions to their constituents, and whose actions are subject to
judicial supervision.  Laws for cyberspace should not be made by people who
are unelected and unaccountable.  History has shown that no matter how well
intended, authority that is unaccountable is dangerous.

There's some heavy politics coming down around the Net these days, that
could put at risk the freedom and cooperation that has allowed the Net to
flourish. Those politics will be the subject of my next Rutt Report - coming
soon!

Sincerely,

Jim Rutt
CEO Network Solutions

[...]

While I can not respond to all your emails please send your questions,
comments or complaints about Network Solutions policies or business
practices to ombudsman () netsol com