Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: AOL Subscribers Can Be Sued in Virginia, Judge Rules

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 03:15:56 -0400

Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 23:56:31 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: "James S. Tyre" <j.s.tyre () cyberpass net>
Subject: Re: IP: AOL Subscribers Can Be Sued in Virginia, Judge Rules

Dave:

A couple of quick notes about the case (and I have read the court decision
itself, not just the news reports).

First, it is arguably in line with the Supreme Court's 1984 decision in
Calder v. Jones, obviously not a net libel case.  I happen to think that
Calder was wrongly decided, but the USSC does not often listen to my idle
musings.

Second, there was another defendant, in New Mexico, who did *not* have an
AOL account who also was adversely affected by the court's ruling.  The VA
court asserted jurisdiction over him because he had a webpage offering
commercial services which was (of course) accessible in VA, even though his
commercial services had no relation to his usenet post.

Third (yada yada, I know I said two), one should perhaps expect weird
results where the usenet postings were to alt.conspiracy.jfk.  ;-)

Last, the Plaintiff is in VA, and the defendants allegedly knew this.  The
case does not stand for the proposition that non-VA Plaintiffs can use VA
courts.  Small solace.

-Jim