Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Stockholm

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:35:25 -0400

The weather is nice now. Rained yesterday but sunny and cool. GG and I are taking advantage of the weather and we had
dinner two nights ago in a small restaurant near the Opera and dined outdoors. Today coffee outdoors. Good living. The
day after we arrived we had lunch on a boat . Excellent food and beautiful views.

I gave a keynote at the Award Symposium along with Dr. Bangemann. The Real Video of the talks and the complete
symposium will be on line shortly (it was net broadcasted in real time). The efforts of the groups that competed was
impressive. I will in a future not elaborate on the best of them.

The City of Stockholm has decided to make permanent the Challenge in the form of a Stockholm Prize. I have suggested to
them that it would be in the spirit of the location and the times to see if we could fund a Cyber-Peace Prize to those
who advanced the cause of peace using the Internet.

Last night we had the Global Bangemann Award ceremony. The King attended and made the awards. It was held in the Blue
Room where the Nobel is awarded. trumpets and all. After we eat an excellent dinner in the Gold room . Very formal and
elegant. Desert was served in the dark and was candle lit cake. Three wines etc. Very impressive.

We are tired but tomorrow we will go way out the Archipelago one way in a power boat and return on an 85 ft world
racing yacht. Let you know how that goes

Dave