Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Internet taxes not inevitable

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 11:26:31 -0400

From: "Diamond, Richard" <Richard.Diamond () mail house gov>
Subject:
Internet Taxes not Inevitable
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 17:05:32 -0400

House Majority Leader Dick Armey sent this letter to his colleagues opposing
the notion that Net taxes are "inevitable" and called for a permanent
moratorium on Internet taxation:
http://freedom.gov/library/technology/pr990628.asp

June 28, 1999
Internet Taxes not Inevitable

Dear Colleague,

        Last year, we unanimously voted to place a temporary moratorium on
new Internet taxes and create a commission to study the issue.

        This commission met in Williamsburg last week.  Following this
meeting I have noticed several disturbing news articles that say, among
other things, that "Tax-free Web goods may disappear" and "Net e-commerce
taxes called inevitable."

        Not so fast.

        Only Congress can authorize one state to compel sellers in another
state to collect Net taxes. And the American people would never stand for
it. Over 26,000 individuals came to my website (www.freedom.gov) to express
their opinion on the issue.  Only 3 percent said the Internet should be
taxed.

        I side with the 97 percent that visited my site and spoke out
against Internet taxation.  We should take steps to immediately place a
permanent moratorium on Internet taxation.  Rep. Chris Cox and others have
already blazed the trail on this issue and we need to rally behind them to
ensure that the Internet remains free forever from predatory state and local
taxation.

        Let's keep the spirit of the e-Contract and allow high-tech America
to flourish by keeping government out of the way.  Let's clear up the
confusion and pass legislation making the Internet Tax Freedom Act's
moratorium permanent.

                                                Sincerely,
                                                DICK ARMEY
                                                Member of Congress