Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Slowing light

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 10:09:56 -0500

Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 20:10:52 +0530
From: Udhay Shankar N <udhay () pobox com>

Dave Farber wrote:

In a Major Breakthrough, Danish Physicist Slows the Speed of Light

I hope I'm the first to point out the similarity between this and Bob
Shaw's classic SF collection, _Other Days, Other Eyes_. I am not
commenting on the news item yet.  :-)

From the rec.arts.sf.written FAQ:

A special kind of glass has been invented where light takes years
to pass through it.  Panes of this glass are hung in scenic areas and
then sold to be used as picture windows. == LIGHT OF OTHER DAYS
by Bob Shaw:
        - "Light of Other Days" is the title of the original short
story,
        first published in ASF 8/66, and frequently anthologised.

        - OTHER DAYS, OTHER EYES is the title of the "fix-up" (novel),
        which incorporates "Light of Other Days" and three of the other
        slow glass stories: "Burden of Proof" (ASF 5/67), "A Dome of
Many-
        Coloured Glass" (FAN 4/72) and the eponymous novella (AMZ 5/72).

Also see

http://ebbs.english.vt.edu/exper/kcramer/anth/Days.html

Udhay

--
http://www.unimedia.net/                http://pobox.com/~udhay
           finger udhay () pobox com for PGP public key