Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: EFF's New Executive Director

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 14:40:35 -0500

To:       The Internet Community
From:  Lori Fena, Chairman, Electronic Frontier Foundation
Date:    Wednesday, February 17, 1999
Re:       EFF's New Executive Director

Dear Colleagues,

It is with great pleasure that I announce on behalf of the Electronic
Frontier Foundation that Tara Lemmey will be joining the Foundation as its
new Executive Director.  The executive search process that began last
October was highly competitive and attracted applications from exceptional
candidates from around the world.

This year promises to be a very important one for Tara and the Foundation,
as we are on the cusp of both a new millennium and EFF's 10th anniversary.
We expect that Congress will be just as busy this year in drafting new
Internet legislation as it was last year, during which over 300 bills
regulating some component of cyberspace were introduced.  In addition, EFF
has two major First Amendment cases pending in federal courts this year,
one challenging the government's export controls on encryption and another
one  contesting a new law censoring speech on the Internet under the guise
of protecting children.  This year will also mark an increased global focus
for the organization, building on last year's important work in Eastern and
Central Europe and continuing involvement in the Global Internet Liberty
Campaign.

Tara is an experienced entrepreneur who has been involved with the Internet
community for the last decade.  She is a well-known data and privacy
practitioner with private sector expertise in linking electronic commerce
and media.  She is the founder and board member of Narrowline and holds
board advisory roles with TRUSTe, Metasound, and eNutrition.  In addition,
she has been an advisor to the U.S. Postal Service and Cybercash in the
area of e-commerce.

Her involvement last year with the Federal Trade Commission's Internet
privacy hearings brought her to the forefront of the industry in the
development of privacy practices through the cooperation of industry with
government.  Tara also participated in the White House Framework for Global
Economic Commerce, the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) as an Advisory Board
member for Technology and Society, and in the W3C's Platform for Privacy
Preferences standard.  She is a frequent speaker on a wide range of topics
related to e-commerce, media, and privacy, including recent presentations
at Internet World, Jupiter Communication's Advertising Conference, The
Aspen Institute, the United Nations forum on electronic commerce, and PC
Forum.

On March 5, EFF's staff and board members will be hosting an open house in
San Francisco for our friends, sponsors, and supporters to join us in
welcoming Tara to the Foundation.  I encourage you to stop by and introduce
yourself to her and other EFF members.  The event will begin at 5:00 PM and
take place in our building's penthouse suite at 1550 Bryant Street (between
15th and 16th streets).

Sincerely,

Lori Fena, Chairman
Electronic Frontier Foundation

  Alexander Fowler
  Director of Public Affairs
  Electronic Frontier Foundation

  E-mail: afowler () eff org
  Tel: 415 436 9333; Fax 415 436 9993

  You can find EFF on the Web at <http://www.eff.org>

  EFF supports the Global Internet Liberty Campaign
  <http://www.gilc.org>