Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on "cyber-corps" of network defenders

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 10:46:11 -0500

Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 09:02:18 -0500
From: barnesa () doim6 monmouth army mil (Anthony Barnes)
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Re: IP: more on  "cyber-corps" of network defenders -- A CHE

David,

CLINTON PROPOSES $1.4 BILLION FOR COMPUTER SECURITY
... Clinton administration is proposing that $1.464 billion be spent on
"critical infrastructure protection and computer security," ...
about $3 million would go toward new computer science scholarships ...

Three observations:

1.  Basically, that says 99.8% is pork for Beltway hustlers and 00.2% is
for scholorships.

        As an insider working for the Army I've seen the above happen all
to often.  The money marked for research needs to be protected (fenced in
budget speak) to insure it is spent for research and not wind up in the
pockets of Beltway hustlers.  Maybe Curt Weldon (R-Penn) could help
protect this money and assure it is spent on research.

Anthony Barnes
Army Research Laboratory
barnesa () arl mil

(The above opinions are my own and not the opinions of my management.)