Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: MS employees asked to post to online forums posing as students

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 17:52:45 -0500

OBVIOUSLY I DO NOT  VOUCH FOR THE TRUTH OF THIS ONE> but Love  is usually reliable djf

Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 13:22:42 -0500
From: James Love <love () essential org>

Post regarding Microsoft's requests that employees pose as independent
supporters of MS in online forums.  Jamie

http://www.zdnet.com/talkback/22_26562_108781.html

 Name:       Michelle Bradley
 Location:   null
 Occupation: X MS employee

MS issues marching orders ...

I can safely tell this now, since I 'retired' from Redmond last week.
A verbal memo (no e-mail allowed) was passed around the MS campus
encouraging MS employee's to post to Z-Net articles like this one.

The theme is "MicroSoft is responsible for all good things in
computerdom. The government has no right to prevent MS from doing
anything. Period. The 'memo' suggests we use fictional names and
state, and to identify ourselves as students."

It is interesting to count the postings that do exactly this.

Most interesting, indeed.

James Love
<love () essential org>