Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: A different perspective on boom times

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 1999 12:53:29 -0500

From:Poor Richard
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 1999 10:38:23 -0700

AT THE TURN OF A CENTURY, BETTER OPTIONS REMAIN
        To criticize this institutional madness can seem bold, even
brave. How sad.

        Hopefully, we'll find more strength for such honesty in the 21st
century.

Poor Richard feels compelled to respond.

Criticizing "this institutional madness" is neither "bold nor brave", rather
it is all too predictable.

Despite its many joys, the reason that Poor Richard dreads this time of
year, is that it brings out the folks who are desperate to remind us not to
have a good time because others aren't. Poor Richard apologizes for having a
good time. Really, he's sorry. But, we already suffered through the politics
of guilt back in the 1992 presidential election, and frankly, it didn't get
us anywhere.

Besides, beyond an aside suggesting moving some of the money from the guns
column of the budget (read: Pentagon's budget) get moved to the butter
column of the budget (read: UNICEF's budget), there aren't any options,
better or worse, suggested in the original column at all.

We've seen a large number of grand experiments in the last 60 years, and
frankly very few of them had much success. Poor Richard apologizes for that
too. He also apologizes for P.J. O'Rourke's observation that you get more
world peace out of every dollar spent on the US Marines than every dollar
donated by Ben & Jerry's.

So, to sum up: if someone's got an original, workable idea, the body politic
would love to chew on it. In the interim, we'll keep fine-tuning what we
have today, which seems to work considerably better than anything else we've
tried before...

A Happy Holiday and a safe New Year

from Dave and GG Farber