Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: proving guilt

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 17:16:08 -0500

From: "Andrew Grosso" <Agrosso () worldnet att net>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Re: proving guilt
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 08:42:11 -0500

As a former federal prosecutor, I read Russ' comments with some interest.  I
agree with his ultimate conclusions but differ with the logic he uses to get
to them.

Put simply, tracing a computer crime to one person, and proving that what he
did is a crime, posses difficulties which are common to many other
categories of crimes, both reactive and white collar.   For example, the
very first jury trial I prosecuted concerned a bank robbery where none of
the five witnesses could identify the perpetrator, and where I had no
photograph or finger print evidence.  The proof consisted of a large number
of indicators each of which pointed to the defendant.  Taken individually,
none of them could prove the defendant did it; taken together, they
demonstrated beyond a reasonable doubt that no one else could have committed
the offense.

A more serious problem is defining what constitutes a "computer crime," and
what constitutes a serious computer crime worth prosecuting.  The court
dockets are growing with examples of people, usually young ones, who pull
pranks or otherwise explore or push the limits of computer technology, and
are then charged with or investigated for the crime of the century.
Examples which quickly come to mind are LaMachia, Neidorf, Kaspureff,
Thomas, Zimmermann.  Activity which would barely merit a glance from a
police officer becomes the subject of Department of Justice press releases
and arrest warrants simply because a computer or the Internet is involved.

Now, Congress is getting into the Act:  the No Electronic Theft Act, the
amendments to the Computer Crime and Abuse Act, the Digital Millennium
Copyright Act, the Economic Espionage Act . . . .  Each makes it easier for
law enforcement to prosecute a crime on the Net, but does it a way which
loosens the definition of what is a crime.  Freedoms and the exercise of
individuality are no  less precious because they are enjoyed on the Internet
than in a public park.  Chilling the exercise of intellectual freedom is not
the way to add safety to the Internet, and creating felons out of curious
high  school kids who explore the limits of computer security are not the
wisest means of building the new world.

I suggest that it is incumbent upon the computer community to insure that
criminalized conduct be limited to conduct that needs to be criminalized,
and that the state does not water down its definitions of felony crimes to
anything that proscribes what is merely inconvenient, or is curiosity which
has gotten out of control, as the unintended consequence of trying to make
it easier for law enforcement to prove their cases.