Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: HMmm I like this -- The Battle of Seattle

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 16:35:08 -0500

Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 14:57:25 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Jean Camp <Jean_Camp () harvard edu>
Subject: Re: IP: The Battle of Seattle

While not a radical communist (altho the way I pronounce "Linux install-in"
with Southern may fool you) I was very happy to see the WTO meeting
collapse.

Boys and girls, they were going to make Intellectual Property decisions.
The main focus would be to prevent this nasty always-on Xerox machine from
making things harder for intellectual property owners. The odds that a
group of international trade-centric wonk wanna-bes (many of whom are
appointed for the vast contributions made to campaigns or possibly being a
popular cousin) would get intellectual property right is very very close to
zero. I know many people at Harvard and across the globe struggling with
developing a new definition of intellectual property that is sufficiently
rigid to provide protection and suffciently flexible to allow innovation
but no one I know has an answer. The WTO doesn't even know the questions.

We should all take a collective bow to the protesters. They may well have
saved us from global software patents and UCITA as the Internet standard
for transactions. Because the question was not, "Will the WTO get
intellectual property right?", the question was, "How wrong can the WTO
possibly be?"

I thank the protesters, and everyone on the Internet now or who will use it
in the future owes a debt to the protesters.

-Prof. Jean
Kennedy School of Gov't