Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: in the interest of balance, here is Bush on evolution

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 20:00:16 -0400

                             Friday, 20 August 1999 Washington, DC

                     1. EVOLUTION I: DARWIN RUNS DEAD LAST IN THE IOWA
STRAW POLL.
                     The timing of the school board decision to
eliminate evolution from
                     the curriculum in Kansas made it inevitable that
candidates in the
                     Iowa dollars-for-democracy exercise would be
asked about their
                     views. They all came out boldly for leaving it up
to local school
                     boards, but some went a bit further. Bush: "I
believe children should
                     be exposed to different theories about how the
world started."
                     Forbes: "In terms of evolution, there's a huge
debate now." Dole:
                     "I'm a person of strong faith--we must restore
discipline to our
                     schools." Bauer: "I personally believe my children were not
                     descended from apes, that they were in fact
created by God... There
                     is a growing body of scientific evidence for a
Devine intervention
                     that created man." Quayle: "Absolutely, I do
[believe in creation].
                     Sure." Lamar Alexander is waiting for a reporter
to ask him a
                     question. Both Gore and Bradley also ducked
behind local control,
                     but Bradley's office added that if he lived in
Kansas he wouldn't
                     support the board's action.