Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: he New Millennium from TELECOM Digest V19 #290

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 18:16:31 -0400

Subject: The New Millennium
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 20:40:36 -0400
From: Monty Solomon <monty () roscom com>

Special Information Leaflet No. 29: 'The New Millennium'

Answers to all your Questions about the Start of the New Millennium.

1. Summary

This leaflet covers the most frequently asked questions regarding the
start of the new (Christian, Gregorian) millennium and where to see the
first sunrise. In summary; the year 2000 will be a leap-year, the New
Millennium and the New Century start at zero hours UTC (commonly known
as GMT) on January 1st 2001 and on this basis, the first sunrise of the
new millennium will be at places around the world where the sun is
rising at that moment.

http://www.rog.nmm.ac.uk/leaflets/new_mill.html

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Maybe, maybe not. I risk getting a
flood of mail as a result of even printing this here, but it makes
the mistake of saying that the new (anything -- day, year, millennium)
starts at zero hours GMT. It starts at zero hours *local time*. By
coincidence, GMT and local time are the same thing in the UK, although
I believe the UK also makes an adjustment in the (northern hemisphere's)
summer months.

If this were not so, that the cutover was at zero hours by the local
time in each community, instead of zero GMT, then what precisely are
the people in New Zealand supposed to do with the time between midnight
and eleven AM on January 1; go into some state of suspended animation?
If anyone feels like answering, please address this statement only,
not the 2000 vrs. 2001 thing.  At least the folks in that part of the
world will have warm, pleasant weather in which to deal with problems
like the computers not working correctly at the electric and gas works.
We here in the USA will have to address those problems as we sit in
the darkness and bitter cold of January in the northern hemisphere.

Just keep reading this Digest, as I will have full and live coverage
of the riots around the world that day as everyone goes out to loot
the stores in their community looking for food and things to use to
start fires for warmth, etc. I certainly hope military authorities in
the different parts of the world have gotten the computers working
correctly regards their nuculear arsenals. That would be quite a way
to resolve the whole problem wouldn't it ... oops, sorry about that
nuclear missle coming your way, our computer malfunctioned. You'll
wish the 'only' things wrong were the phones, electricity and bank
cash machines were not working correctly. Meanwhile, over in Quantico,
VA, those big, tough, manly Marines continue their daily training
exercises in case you decide to act out on that Friday night/Saturday
morning which will live in infamy.   PAT]